B. K. Anand
|B. K. Anand|
September 18, 1917|
Lahore, British India
|Died||April 2, 2007(aged 89)|
|Institutions||Lady Hardinge Medical College,
All India Institute of Medical Sciences
|Alma mater||King George Medical College, Lahore|
|Notable awards||Padma Shri|
Professor Bal Krishan Anand (1917–2007), better known as B. K. Anand, was a famous Indian Physiologist and Pharmacologist. He was credited for the discovery of feeding center in Hypothalamus in 1951. He is considered as the founder of modern Neurophysiology in India.
He was born in Lahore as Bal Krishan Anand in 1917. He was graduated from King George Medical College in 1940 and obtained M.D. degree in 1948. He has joined in 1949 in Lady Hardinge Medical College as Professor of Physiology.
He went to Yale University as Fellow of the Rockefeller Foundation in 1950 and worked with Professor John R Brobeck. They had published their classic research work in 1951. He has returned to India in 1952 and continued his research in Lady Hardinge Medical College.
He has joined the All India Institute of Medical Sciences as its first professor in the Department of Physiology in 1956. He was instrumental in establishing the guidelines of education for M.B.,B.S. and Postgraduate students. He became Dean of that Institute.
He was instrumental in the establishment of Sher-i-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences in 1982.
- B. K. Anand and J. R. Brobeck: Hypothalamic control of food intake in rats and cats. Yale J. Biol. Med. 24:123-40, 1951.
- B. K. Anand and S. Dua: Hypothalamic involvement in the Pituitary Adrenocortical Response. Journal of Physiology. I955. I27, I53-I56.
- B. K. Anand and S. Dua: Circulatory and Respiratory changes induced by Electrical stimulation of Limbic system (Visceral brain). Journal of Neurophysiology. 19: 393-400, 1956.
- B. K. Anand, S. Dua and Baldev Singh. Electrical activity of the hypothalamic ‘feeding centres’ under the effect of changes in blood chemistry, Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology. Volume 13, Issue 1, February 1961, Pages 54–59.
- B. K. Anand, G. S. Chhina, and Baldev Singh. Effect of Glucose on the Activity of Hypothalamic "Feeding Centers". Science 2 November 1962: Vol. 138. no. 3540, pp. 597 – 598.
- He was awarded the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology in Medical Sciences in 1963.
- Government of India awarded him Padma Shri in Medicine in 1969.
- Obituary, Professor B. K. Anand, by Jayasree Sengupta, Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, 2007, Vol. 51(2), pp:103-4.
- Review of Prof. B.K. Anand's scientific study: fifty years following his discovery of feeding centre. H N Mallick, Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology. 2001, 45(3), pp:269-95.
- Anand B K and Brobeck J R. Hypothalamic control of food intake in rats and cats. Yale J. Biol. Med. 24:123-40, 1951.