|Directed by||Chittajallu Pullayya|
|Produced by||S. S. Vasan|
|Written by||Balijepalli Lakshmikanta Kavi|
Govindarajula Subba Rao
Banda Kanakalingeswara Rao
Balijepalli Lakshmikanta Kavi
Relangi Venkata Ramaiah
|Music by||M.D.Partha Sarathi
Saluri Rajeshwara Rao
|Running time||220 minutes|
Bala Nagamma or Balanagamma (Telugu: బాలనాగమ్మ) is a 1942 Telugu Silver Jubilee film directed by Chittajallu Pullayya and produced by S.S.Vasan. The Bala Nagamma story was one of the most popular Burrakathas. It was one of the early successful films made by Gemini Studios in Telugu and not remade in Tamil. Gemini Studios made an adaptation of this film in Hindi starring Madhubala called "Bahut Din Huwe".
The story is about Bala Nagamma, young princess. The King prays for progeny and is blessed with children, the youngest of them is named Bala Nagamma (Kanchanamala). She is married off to Karyavardi Raju (Banda). She is kidnapped by Mayala Marathi (Govindarajula Subbarao) who turns her into a dog and takes her to his cave. Once there, he tries to take advantage of her. She keeps him away quoting some Holy Rites and Pujas that she is involved in. She is a prisoner in the cave for 14 years, where the Fakir's mistress, Sangu (Pushpavalli), is jealous of his obsession with Bala Nagamma. In the meantime, her son Balavardi Raju grows up and gets to know the truth about his mother. He seeks the Fakir out and defeats him.
|Govindarajula Subba Rao||Mayala Marathi|
|Balijepalli Lakshmikantham||Navabhoja Raju|
|Master Viswam||Balavardhi Raju|
|Addala Narayana Rao||Nagendra|
|Lanka Satyam||Chakali Thippadu|
|Relangi Venkataramaiah||Kotwal Ramasingu|
There are three songs in the film.
- Naa Sogase Kani Marude Dasudu Kada - Pushpavalli
- Nanna Memu Delhi Potham
- Sri Jaya Jaya Gowri Ramana - Bellary Lalitha
- Gemini Pictures later remade this movie in Hindi with Madhubala in the lead role and Savitri as Sangu. The movie was titled Bahut Din Hue. This was Savithri's first Hindi movie.
- The movie was a trendsetting folk-based successful venture and ran for more than 25 weeks in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
- The story has been adopted for another movie as Bala Nagamma in 1959 starring N. T. Rama Rao, Anjali Devi and S. V. Ranga Rao. It was also big success.
- Bala Nagamma at IMDb.
- Balanagamma at Cinegoer.com
- Watch BalaNagama At Basthi.com
- Bala Nagamma at The Hindu/Cinema Plus
- List of Copyright violators reported
|This article about a film in the Telugu language is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|