Balaclava railway station, Melbourne
|Station status||Host Station|
|Website||Link, includes timetables|
Balaclava is a railway station in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, located in the suburb of Balaclava, on the Sandringham railway line. Balaclava is classed as a Host Station and is in myki Zone 1. In 2010 around 3100 passengers used the station each weekday.
The station consists of two elevated side platforms; Platform 1 has a large pebblemix building, while platform 2 has a smaller pebblemix building. myki ticket vending machines are located at the entrances to platform 1 and 2, which are able to dispense most ticketing options available, accepting notes, coins and cards.
Platforms and services
Trams from Balaclava Station
In 1996 two men found $200,000 in a drum buried beneath one of the platforms. They handed it into the police and the find was reported in the media. In the same week another man found a second drum under the platform containing a similar quantity of money, which he also turned into the police. As no one claimed the money, both men were granted ownership of the money they found, despite being considered trespassers on land owned by the Public Transport Corporation.
Major station upgrade
In September 2010, it was announced that if re-elected the Labor government would upgrade Balaclava station and make it a premium station, with $13.3 million to be spent on rebuilding works. Following the Liberal/National election victory in November 2010, this promise was scrapped.
The Department of Transport at a later date announced it would go ahead with a major upgrade, spending $13.3 million to widen platforms, improve stairs and provide better ramp access, upgrades to signage, booking office facilities, waiting rooms, provision of new station canopies to improve weather protection, wheelchair shelters and toilets. CCTV cameras and facilities for Protective Services Officers (PSOs) is also included in the project as well as provision for future lifts. Work was expected to finish in 2013. However the project has endured many delays and the targeted completion date is now October 2014. When completed, the station is to be staffed from first to last train each day, meaning the station will be a premium station.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Balaclava railway station, Melbourne.|
- "Balaclava Station to be Fully Staffed and Upgraded". Media Release: Premier of Victoria. www.premier.vic.gov.au. September 28, 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-28.
- VICSIG Infrastructure - Balaclava
- Vincent Adams Winter (1990). VR and VicRail: 1962 - 1983. p. 107. ISBN 0-9592069-3-0.
- "ABC Radio National - The Law Report Transcript". www.abc.net.au. February 6, 1996. Retrieved 2008-08-03.
- "ABC Radio National - The Law Report Transcript". www.abc.net.au. July 13, 1996. Archived from the original on 26 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-03.
- "Balaclava Station Upgrade". Public Transport Victoria. Government of Victoria. 12 December 2013. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "Balaclava Station Makeover Underway". Clem Newton-Brown MP. Government of Victoria. 4 June 2013. Retrieved 5 January 2014.