Balaclava railway station, Melbourne
|Address||Carlisle Street, Balaclava|
|Distance||9.09 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Opened||19 December 1859|
|Station status||Premium station|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
It is an elevated station located above the Carlisle Street rail overpass. Platform 1 has a large pebblemix building, Platform 2 a smaller pebblemix building. In 1981 the station buildings were reconstructed.
In 1996 two men found $200,000 in a drum buried beneath one of the platforms. They handed it into the police and the find was reported in the media. In the same week another man found a second drum under the platform containing a similar quantity of money, which he also turned into the police. As no one claimed the money, both men were granted ownership of the money they found, despite being considered trespassers on land owned by the Public Transport Corporation.
In June 2012 a $13.3 million upgrade involving widening the platforms, upgrades to stair and ramp access, signage, booking office facilities, waiting rooms, provision of new station canopies to improve weather protection, wheelchair shelters and toilets was announced. CCTV cameras were added as well as provision for future lifts. The upgrade was completed in October 2014 with the station becoming a Premium station.
Platforms & services
Yarra Trams operate two routes via Balaclava station:
- Balclava Vicsig
- Vincent Adams Winter (1990). VR and VicRail: 1962 - 1983. p. 107. ISBN 0-9592069-3-0.
- "ABC Radio National - The Law Report Transcript". www.abc.net.au. 6 February 1996. Retrieved 2008-08-03.
- "ABC Radio National - The Law Report Transcript". www.abc.net.au. 13 July 1996. Archived from the original on 26 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-03.
- A new look for Balaclava station St Kilda News 4 June 2012
- Balaclava Station Upgrade Project Public Transport Victoria
- Balaclava Station Upgrade Public Transport Victoria
- Premium experience coming soon to Balaclava station Premier of Victoria 24 September 2014
- "Premium experience comes to refurbished Balaclava Station" Railway Digest November 2014 page 25
- Sandringham Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 3/3A Melbourne University - East Malvern timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 16 Melbourne University - Kew timetable Public Transport Victoria
Media related to Balaclava railway station, Melbourne at Wikimedia Commons