Balagarh (community development block)
|Balagarh (CD Block)
বলাগড় সমষ্টি উন্নয়ন ব্লক
|community development block|
|• Total||204.34 km2 (78.90 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,700/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Hooghly|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Balagarh|
Balagarh (community development block) is an administrative division in Chinsurah subdivision of Hooghly district in the Indian state of West Bengal. Balagarh police station serves this block. Headquarters of this block is at Patuligram. Badhagachhi is an urban area under this block.
Balagarh is located at.
Gram panchayats of Balagarh block/ panchayat samiti are: Jirat (Sadar), Charkrishnabati, Dumrdaha-Nityanandapur I, Dumurdaha-Nityanandapur II, Ektarpur, Guptipara I, Guptipara II, Bakulia-Dhobapara, Mohipalpur, Siza-Kamalpur, Somra I, Somra II and Sripur-Balagarh.
As per 2001 census, Balagarh block had a total population of 214,710, out of which 110,121 were males and 104,589 were females. Balagarh block registered a population growth of 15.40 per cent during the 1991-2001 decade. Decadal growth for Hooghly district was 15.72 per cent. Decadal growth in West Bengal was 17.84 per cent.
As per the 2001 census, Tarakeswar block had a total literacy of 50.07 per cent. While male literacy was 68.38 per cent, female literacy was 49.98 per cent.
Balagarh was selected the site for power station by Calcutta Electric Supply Corporation but the project was shelved. According to C.E.S.C.Web Journal of 16 April 2010 it will be revived by them. Balagarh's economy specially depends on building of country boats and manufacture of tiles which is famous all over India.
In Balagarh there is a 113 year's old public library named as Chandra Saraswati Pathagar. There is another big library of Sripur kalyan Samiti(123 year's) in Sripur Bazar Area which have wide collection of books according to the need and Jirat Ashutosh Smritimandir Rural Library is 86 year's old.
Balagarh Dishari Cultural Associtation is carrying forward the musical tradition for more than 50 years.
Jirat is a town under Balagarh Block, the main Administrative center (Sadar) of the block. The BDO and the Gramin Hospital are in Jirat Patuligram Area. Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee, Poet Charuchandra Banerjee, and Artiste Anil Chaterjee's houses are in Jirat Smritrimandir. Sri Sri Gapinath Jeu (Smritrimandir), Sidheswari Kali, Mahakal Bhairav (Kaliagarh), Darmaraj (Mundukhola) and Bura Siva Temple (Panchpara) are some of the oldest temples of Jirat Town. The Lions Club of Balagarh is in Jirat Bus Stand area.Balagarh book fair in jirat high school math.
Guptipara is a village under Balagarh police station.
The first publicly organised Jagadhatri Puja was held at Guptipara, when some men were stopped from taking part in a household Jagadhatri puja. Twelve of them formed a committee and organised a barowari (baro means twelve and yar means friend) puja (worshipping). There is a difference of opinion about the year of worship – 1761 or 1790.
There are some old temples in the village - Brindabanchandra Temple, Chaitanyadev Temple, Krishna Chandra Temple and Ramachandra Temple. a
- "Contact details of Block Development Officers". Hooghly district. West Bengal Government. Retrieved 2011-04-10.
- "Provisional population totals, West Bengal, Table 4, Hugli district". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-04-10.
- "No. 229 (Sanction)-PN/P/II/1G-5/2005(Pt.II) dated 02.02.09". Allotment No. 5 for five districts – Cooch Behar, Burdwan, Uttar Dinajpur, Hooghly and Bankura. Government of West Bengal - Department of Panchayats & Rural Development. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Provisional Population Totals, West Bengal. Table 4". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Balagarh". Local Self-government. Hooghly Zilla Parishad. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- The Hindu Business Line 22 April 2004
- "CESC terms for Balagarh". The Telegraph (Calcutta, India). 2012-05-09. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- Railway local time table
- Calcutta Web
- Festivals – Durga Puja
- India 9. com