Bald Mountain Ski Area
- This article is about the modest ski area in Clearwater County, Idaho.
For the Bald Mountain of the Sun Valley Resort in Blaine County, see Bald Mountain (Idaho).
|Nearest city||Pierce - 10 mi (16 km)
Orofino - 28 mi (45 km)
|Vertical||684 ft (208 m)|
|Top elevation||4,400 ft (1,341 m)|
|Base elevation||3,716 ft (1,133 m)
4,000 ft (1,219 m)
|Skiable area||140 acres (0.57 km2)|
15- 25% easiest
- 40% more difficult
- 35% most difficult
|Lift system||1 T-bar
1 rope tow
|Snowfall||100 in (250 cm)|
|Web site||Ski Bald Mountain.com|
Bald Mountain Ski Area is a modest ski area in north central Idaho, located 10 miles (16 km) northwest of Pierce in Clearwater County. The area first opened in January 1960, with a cotton rope tow powered by a gasoline engine. Originally for employees of the Potlatch Corporation (forest products) in the village of Headquarters, it opened to the public in the 1960s.
The summit elevation is 4,400 feet (1,341 m) above sea level, with a vertical drop of 684 feet (208 m). The north-facing slopes are served by two surface lifts: a T-bar and a rope tow, and the main lodge and parking area are at mid-mountain. The area is open only on weekends and the average snowfall is 100 inches (250 cm). The T-bar made its debut in late January 1969, and the A-frame lodge was built in 1971.
- "Bald Mountain lift dedicated despite blizzard conditions". Lewiston Morning Tribune. January 27, 1969. p. 7.
- "Good skiing expected at Bald Mountain run". Lewiston Morning Tribune. March 19, 1960. p. 2.
- "Potlatch plays its part". Lewiston Morning Tribune. (advertisement). June 22, 1967. p. 17.
- "About". Ski Bald Mountain.com. Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- Huntington, Rebecca (January 30, 1997). "Big fun on the small hills". Lewiston Morning Tribune. p. 1C.
- Jennings, Bill (January 18, 2008). "Remote slopes offer skiers a little variety". Spokesman-Review.
- Speer, Gary (February 23, 1986). "Bald Mountain keeps Idaho skiers happy without celebrities". (Lewiston) Sunday Tribune. p. 2E.
- "Idaho ski lift ready". Spokesman-Review. December 31, 1971. p. 7.
- Ski Bald Mountain.com - official site
- Ski Idaho – Bald Mountain ski area
- Sangres.com – Bald Mountain ski area
- Northwest Passage Scenic Byway – Bald Mountain Ski Area
- MSRmaps.com - USGS topo map & aerial photo