|Founded||1916 Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
1946 Manhattan, New York, U.S.
|Area served||Connecticut, New York
|Key people||Judy Spires (CEO)|
|Parent||Kings Super Markets|
Balducci's was the first company in New York City to sell premium quality foods with a butcher, fishmonger, delicatessen and greengrocer all in the same store. It became a model for specialty markets all over the city.
Balducci's after 2005
The new flagship store on Eighth Avenue at 14th Street in Manhattan opened in December 2005. Following its opening, Local 1500 of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union began protesting outside the store against the non-unionized status of employees.
"Right now we are restructuring our company," said Jennifer Barton, Marketing Director with Balducci's LLC. "We had to close some of our under-performing stores."
There are currently six full-service retail stores in Connecticut, Maryland, Virginia and New York (Scarsdale). In 2012, Balducci's returned to New York with Balducci's Gourmet on the Go Café in Hearst Tower, which serves prepared meals and soups as well as a gourmet salad and coffee bar. There are four Balducci's Express locations: three in JFK Airport in New York and one at the Leesburg Corner Premium Outlets in Virginia. There is also a Balducci's Gourmet on the Go Café located in the Bloomberg Children's Center in Johns Hopkins Hospital.
- "Balducci's - Store Locations". Balduccis.com. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- "Contact Us." Balducci's. Retrieved on December 24, 2013. "Balducci's 12920 Cloverleaf Center Drive Suite B Germantown, MD 20874"
- "Balducci's: A House Divided Stands in Name Only", The New York Times, June 28, 2000
- "In Rough Market, a Slow Market (Balducci’s) Suffers", The New York Times.
- "Sutton Place, Balducci's in Partnership", The New York Times.
- "Balducci's Flagship Closes in the Village; A New Site Is Planned", The New York Times.
- "A New Balducci's, Back Downtown", The New York Times, December 14, 2005
- "Lining Up at Balducci's, and Not for the Salmon", The New York Times, March 6, 2006
- Fickenscher, Lisa. "Balducci's returns to NYC". Crains New York.
- "Dining Options". Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- "Balducci’s Sold". Westportnow.com. 2009-04-15. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- balduccis.com, Balducci's Food Lovers Market official website