Baldy Mountain (Colfax County, New Mexico)
Baldy Mountain from Copper Park camp
|Elevation||12,445 ft (3,793 m) NAVD 88|
|Prominence||2,681 ft (817 m)|
|Location||Colfax County, New Mexico, U.S.|
|Range||Cimarron Range, Sangre de Cristo Mountains|
|Topo map||USGS Baldy Mountain|
Baldy Mountain (official name), Baldy Peak, Mount Baldy, or Old Baldy is the highest peak in the Cimarron Range, a subrange of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of New Mexico. It is located in Colfax County, about 6 miles (10 km) northeast of Eagle Nest. It rises abruptly, with 3,640 feet (1,110 m) of vertical relief (in 3 miles/4.8 km), from the Moreno Valley to the west and has a total elevation of 12,445 feet (3,793 m).
Baldy Mountain lies on the northwestern border of the Boy Scouts of America's Philmont Scout Ranch. The valleys on the eastern side of the peak are home to some of the many small camps that are scattered throughout the Ranch. Four wheel drive roads and a radio tower exist high on the western slopes. In 1963 Norton Clapp bought 10,098 acres (4,087 ha) around the mountain and donated it to the Boy Scouts of America.
Copper and gold were mined in the area starting in 1866, and the top of Baldy Mountain was developed as the Mystic Lode copper mine. Mine workings and prospects are still evident on the slopes of the mountain as well. There are about 70 miles (110 km) of mines in the whole mountain. A total of $4 million was made from the gold in the mountain.
Baldy Mountain from Copper Park, Philmont Scout Ranch
- List of peaks named Baldy
- 4000 meter peaks of the United States
- Cimarron Range
- Culebra Range
- List of U.S. states by elevation
- Sangre de Cristo Mountains
- "Baldy Mtn". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- "Baldy Mountain, New Mexico". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- Butterfield, Mike; Greene, Peter (2006). Mike Butterfield's Guide to the Mountains of New Mexico. New Mexico Magazine Press. ISBN 978-0937206881.
|This New Mexico state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|