Balkrishna Sharma (CPI politician)
Balkrishna Sharma was an Indian politician. He was a leader of the Communist Party of India and the Kisan Sabha. Sharma was active in organising peasants movement in northern Madhya Pradesh for various decades. Together with other CPI leaders such as Khan Shakir Ali Khan he organised occupations of estates of ex-princes and other large landowners. As of 1973 he was a member of the Central Kisan Committee, the national leadership of the All India Kisan Sabha.
Sharma contested the Gird seat in the 1962 Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly election. He finished in third place, with 5,305 votes (18.22%).
Ten years later, Sharma won the Gird seat in a June 1972 by-election. The Indian National Congress had declared its support for Sharma's candidature, but local Congress leaders in Gwalior offered little support for him. He got 12,704 votes compared to 11,915 votes for the Bharatiya Jana Sangh candidate Maheshdutta Mishra.
Sharma lost the Gird seat in the 1977 Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly election. He finished in fourth place with 2,348 votes (6.04% of the votes in the constituency).
- Christophe Jaffrelot (1999). The Hindu Nationalist Movement and Indian Politics: 1925 to the 1990s : Strategies of Identity-building, Implantation and Mobilisation (with Special Reference to Central India). Penguin Books India. p. 251. ISBN 978-0-14-024602-5.
- Election Commission of India. Bye-election results 1952-95
- Communist Party of India. National Council (1970). Resolutions of the National Council of the Communist Party of India, New Delhi, 1 to 5 October 1970. The Party. p. 78.
- All India Kisan Sabha (1974). Twentyfirst National Conference of the All-India Kisan Sabha, Bhatinda (Punjab) 19th to 23rd September 1973. B. Jha for the All-India Kisan Sabha. p. 107.
- Election Commission of India. REPORT ON GENERAL ELECTION, 1962 TO THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY OF MADHYA PRADESH
- Asian Recorder, Vol. 18. 1972. p. viii.
- Election Commission of India. STATISTICAL REPORT ON GENERAL ELECTION, 1977 TO THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY OF MADHYA PRADESH