Ballarat V/Line rail service
|Ballarat railway line, Victoria|
|Tracks||Double track to Deer Park West
single track with loops beyond
|Rolling stock||V/Line Sprinter
H type carriage
|Rail transport in Victoria|
The Ballarat V/Line rail service is a regional passenger rail service operated by V/Line in Victoria, Australia. It serves passengers between state capital Melbourne and the regional city of Ballarat.
In November 2004, Premier of Victoria Steve Bracks announced that the line would be renamed the Eureka Line to mark the 150th anniversary of the Eureka uprising. Due to take effect from late 2005 at the same time as the renaming of Spencer Street Station to Southern Cross. The renaming was criticised by groups such as the Public Transport Users Association, and was never carried out.
V/Line operates hourly passenger services along the line. Most terminate at Wendouree with two extending to Ararat station and one to Maryborough. During peak hours some services originate and terminate at Bacchus Marsh.
To alleviate capacity constraints on the single track section, one Ballarat to Melbourne service in the evening peak is provided by a road coach.
The majority of the line is single track, with the exception of:
- double track between Melbourne, Sunshine and Deer Park West
- a short crossing loop at Rockbank station
- a short crossing loop at Melton station
- Parwan Loop, between Melton and Bacchus Marsh stations, located before the descent into Bacchus Marsh
- Bank Box Loop, between Bacchus Marsh and Ballan stations, located atop the Werribee Gorge
- a long crossing loop at Bungaree, between Ballan and Ballarat. The two tracks take different routes, one being the original line via Bungaree, the other being a new deviation built as part of the Regional Fast Rail project.
Boldstations are termini, italicstations are staffed at least part-time
|Ballarat V/Line rail service with Regional Rail Link|
- Annual Report for year ended 30 June 2014 V/Line
- Eureka Rail Line to Open Exciting new era for Regional Rail Premier of Victoria 25 November 2004
- More name changes:Ballarat this time PTUA News Volume 28 Issue 6 December 2004
- Ballarat's new train station to officially open ABC News 12 June 2009
- Maryborough Rail Services Victorian Transport Plan
- Passenger trains return to Maryborough The Courier 25 July 2010
- Ballarat timetable V/Line 12 October 2014
- Train Operating Data: Deer Park to Ararat V/Line 21 October 2014
- Construction set to begin on a new station for Caroline Springs Premier of Victoria 2 May 2014