Banana Split (TV series)
|Also known as||
Banana Split (2008–2011)
Banana Split: Daily Servings (2009–2011)
Banana Split: Lafternoon Delight (2011)
|Directed by||Edgar Mortiz
|Starring||see Cast section|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, English|
|Executive producer(s)||Camille Mortiz-Malapit|
|Running time||1 hour & 15 minutes|
|Original release||October 11, 2008– present|
That's My Doc
(Friday primetime timeslot)
Banana Split is a comedy gag show broadcast in ABS-CBN every Saturday evening featuring Angelica Panganiban, Jason Gainza, and John Prats, with Pooh, Zanjoe Marudo and Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Clash of 2010 2nd Big Placer Ryan Bang.
- 1 History
- 2 Cast
- 3 Portions
- 4 Clown in a Million (2011)
- 5 Issues
- 6 SPG Rating
- 7 Awards
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Banana Split first aired on October 11, 2008. The second season premiered on February 28, 2009, and the third season on April 18, 2009 with a new cast. The fourth season premiered on July 18, 2009. A 30 minute version began airing every weekday afternoon from September 30, 2009, entitled Banana Split: Daily Servings, as part of the Hapontastic block. On August 18, 2010, it was moved to morning timeslot at 10:00 to 10:30 a.m. However it was moved again twice as early as 9:00 to 9:30 a.m. starting June 27, 2011. On July 9, 2011 the Saturday show was reformatted as Banana Split: Extra Scoop which features live comedy performance including the return of Clown in The Million Season 2, a reality comedy search. On September 12, 2011, Banana Split: Daily Servings will be renamed as Banana Split: Lafternoon Delight and moved to 2:45 pm slot. Due to low ratings, Banana Split: Lafternoon Delight was ended on October 7, 2011.
Currently, Banana Split: Extra Scoop airs every Saturday night and surprisingly, the show did well and garnering higher ratings on its timeslot compare to other counterpart programs. Because of its success in the late night timeslot, the network decided to launch a version of the gag show airing Monday-Friday at 11:30 PM–12:00 AM, after Bandila from February 25, 2013 onwards titled Banana Nite. Starting Monday, August 5, 2013 Banana Nite will now air 15 minutes longer from 11:30PM–12:15 AM. Starting Monday, February 10, 2014 Banana Nite will go back to 30 minutes from 11:45PM–12:15 AM. Starting November 22, 2014, 10:00 pm will replacing I Do. And now, this show is currently aired after the The Voice of the Philippines.
- Angelica Panganiban
- John Prats
- Jason Gainza
- Zanjoe Marudo
- Jon Santos
- Alex Gonzaga
- Melai Cantiveros
- Mart Escudero
- Fourth Solomon
- Fifth Solomon
- Aiko Climaco
- Kean Cipriano
- Ryan Bang
- Bangs Garcia
- Sunshine Garcia
- Mitoy Yonting
- Jef Gaitan
- Boom Labrusca
- Badjie Mortiz
- Le Chazz
- Alora Sasam
- Clarissa Cule
- Kuya Jobert (Jobert Austria)
- A.A. Ponce (2009–2011)
- Cristine Reyes (2008–2009; 2010)
- Chiastine Faye Perez (2008–2010)
- Diane Medina (2008)
- Gab Valenciano (2010–2011)
- Jason Francisco (2010–2012)
- Niña Jose (2009–2011)
- Princess Ryan (2008–2010)
- Virginia Pozon (2010–2011)
- Roxanne Guinoo (2008)
- RR Enriquez (2008–2011)
- Valerie Concepcion (2008)
- AQUIKNOW AND ABOONDUH TONITE - This is a parody of Aquino & Abunda Tonight, which is hosted by Kris Aquino and Boy Abunda. It is portrayed by Angelica Panganiban which acts as Krissy Aquiknow and Jayson Gainza as Bhoy Aboonduh.
- CLOWN IN A MILLION - C.I.A.M. is the talent search for comedians, where funny people with no or little television experience battle it out to be proclaimed as the latest comedic talent discovery.
- BANANA CLASSICS - BC is a sketch or comic skit where two or more actors portray roles to convey a simple story that culminates in a punchline, just to make people laugh. It is done before a live audience without cuts, thus requiring the material to be visual rather than verbal.
- EXTRA SPOOF - This is the segment where the cast impersonates famous icons, idols, celebrities of past and present time, living or not. It is cohesively presented with a common theme like NOVELTY ICONS, ICONS FROM THE 80s, 90s, and the year 2000 and plus or PINOY PRIDE (Pinoy singers known Internationally)
- MAKE ME RAP
- Barado Sisters (Later as "Hala Bara!")
- Eto na Post
- Kandila (Parody of Bandila)
- Ihaw Na! (Parody of segment Ikaw Na!)
- Krissy and Me (Parody of Kris TV)
- Laugh Three
- Surprise Bwi-set
- Tres Kumpares
- SSPG: Sobra-sobrang Pilyong Gags, Bawal Sa Bata, Tulog Na! (collection of green jokes)
- Chazz Do It
- Yaya and Angel (parody of "Ang Spoiled", a sketch from rival gag show Bubble Gang)
- Mr. Bang
- Aquiknow & Aboonduh Tonite (parody of Aquino & Abunda Tonight)
- Sosyal, 'Di Sosyal
- Banana Rewind
- Monday Funday
- Timeless Tuesday
- Wayback Wednesday
- Throwback Thursday
- Flashback Friday
- Maling Akala
- Dr. Selfie
- Balitang Six-Six
- Fake yan
- Pag May Time
- Pinoy True Stories parodies
- How Dare You (Parody of I Dare You)
- Single, In a Relationship, It's complicated
- Munting Kaalaman
- Pogi vs. Tambay
Clown in a Million (2011)
|Karen||Laugh 10||Safe||Safe||Safe||Safe||Won||Laugh 5||Safe||Final 4||93%||Winner|
|Mimi||Laugh 10||Safe||Safe||Safe||Safe||Safe||Laugh 5||Safe||Final 4||81%||1st Runner-up|
|Super Tekla||Laugh 10||Won||Safe||Won||Safe||Safe||Laugh 5||Safe||Final 4||77%||2nd Runner-up|
|Leo||Laugh 10||Safe||Won||Safe||Safe||Safe||Eliminated||Final 4||65%||3rd Runner-up|
|Onse||Laugh 10||Safe||Safe||Safe||Safe||Safe||Laugh 5||Safe||Eliminated||Eliminated|
|James||Laugh 10||Safe||Safe||Safe||Won||Laugh 5||Eliminated||Eliminated|
- The contestant won the competition
- The contestant was eliminated
- The contestant won the wild card round.
- The contestant won immunity from the next elimination
- The contestant was deemed the worst but was immune from elimination
Lito Camo composed the theme song Banana Split performed by Kool Chix, and is available as a bonus track in Willie Revillame's album Giling Giling from Star Records. But during Season 3 the theme song was changed.
Gay Kiss Issue
|This section may be confusing or unclear to readers. (June 2010)|
During the December 6, 2008 episode, coverboys Rafael Rosell, Jon Avila and Will Devaughn were involved in a practical joke segment following a dating game format, where they kissed an extra gay instead of the Banana Split girls. This event caused a short rift between Rafael and a Banana Split executive producer. As a result, few clips were aired instead of the whole segment. Also, a public apology was delivered after the end of the show.
|This section may be confusing or unclear to readers. (June 2010)|
Valerie Concepcion, Roxanne Guinoo and Dianne Medina left the show due to Precious Hearts Romances collection where they will act in different episodes. It was reported that Guinoo was removed from the show due to her weight problems while Concepcion left the show due to a talent fee dispute. The rift between Angelica Panganiban and Cristine Reyes arose as another issue following Reyes's departure from the show.
The additional cast includes John Prats, Zanjoe Marudo, Jayson Gainza, Pooh and Pokwang were part of the third season starting April 18, 2009. There were no guests during the first episode of the season.
- 24th PMPC Star Awards for Television's "Best Gag Show"
- Angelica Panganiban was won for 24th PMPC Star Awards for Television's "Best Comedy Actress".
- 23rd PMPC Star Awards for Television's "Best Gag Show" (tied with GMA-7's Bubble Gang)
- 27th PMPC Star Awards for Television's "Best Gag Show" (tied with GMA-7's Bubble Gang)
- Pooh won for 23rd PMPC Star Awards for Television's "Best Comedy Actor".
- 8th Gawad Tanglaw Best Comedy/Gag Show (tied with Goin Bulilit).
- Banana Split will introduce new segments starting April 18 retrieved via www.pep.ph 04-18-2009
- Banana Split marks its fourth season on ABS-CBN www.pep.ph July 22, 2009
- Jaysona Boto SAlSAL gears up for the new season of Banana Split retrieved via www.abs-cbn.com 09-24-2009
- Roldan Castro (2008-11-21). ""Banana Split" EP surprised by Rafael Rosell's interview about attempted gay-kissing "playtime"". PEP.
- Archie de Calma (2008-11-21). "Rafael Rosell upset by bad joke in "Banana Split"". PEP.
- Why Rafael Rosell did not find The Banana Split practical joke funny Retrieved via www.abs-cbn.com 11-29-2008
- ""Banana Split" EP surprised by Rafael Rosell's interview about attempted gay-kissing "playtime"". PEP. 2008-11-21.
- Napoleon Quintos (2009-04-03). "Valerie Concepcion is leaving Banana Split because of a talent fee dispute". ABS-CBN.
- Rachelle Siazon (2009-04-03). "Was Roxanne Guinoo removed from ‘Banana Split’ due to weight problems?". ABS-CBN.
- Napoleon Quintos (2009-04-03). "Cristine Reyes: ‘Walang away sa Banana Split.’". ABS-CBN. TVTropolis
- "Banana Split includes new stars for second season". PEP. 2009-04-12.
- "Pokwang on joining Banana Split: ‘Hindi ko naman po sinulot, ibinigay sa akin ng kusa’". ABS-CBN. 2009-03-13.
- "Are John Prats, Jayson Gainza, and Zanjoe Marudo the new ‘Bad Bananas?’". ABS-CBN. 2009-04-14.
- "Has Pooh changed for the worse because of his success in showbiz?". ABS-CBN. 2009-04-14.
- Banana Split win as Best Comedy/Gag Shoe in Winners of 8th Gawad Tanglaw revealed retrieved via www.pep.ph 02-07-2010
- Official Blog Site via Multiply
- Banana Split on Facebook
- BANANA NITE on Facebook
- NNNN on Facebook
- Banana Split on Twitter
- Banana Split on Twitter