|This article relies on references to primary sources. (December 2012)|
|Traded as||BMAD: SAB|
|Founded||Sabadell, Spain (December 31, 1881)|
|Products||Banking, bancassurance, asset management|
|Employees||18,077 (end 2013)|
|Subsidiaries||Lloyds Bank International|
Banco Sabadell (Spanish: [ˈbaŋko saβaˈðel]; Catalan: Banc Sabadell [ˈbaŋ səβəˈðeʎ]) is the fourth-largest banking group funded by private Spanish capital. It includes several banks, brands, subsidiary and holding companies spanning the whole range of financial business.
Specialising in commercial banking, it has a significant penetration in the company and medium and high level private customer market. It has a network of 2,418 offices employing a total of 18,077 staff. It is quoted on the Madrid Stock Market (SAB) and forms part of the IBEX 35 index.
As of late, Banco Sabadell has trialed Host Card Emulation mobile technology with international mobile payment technologies company Carta Worldwide to assert themselves in the growing market of digital wallets and mobile payments.
- 1881: Founded in Sabadell, province of Barcelona, on 31 December 1881.
- 1965: Starts territorial expansion.
- 1978: London, first branch of the international network.
- 1986: Introduction of remote banking.
- 1987: New international branch in Paris.
- 1988: Creation of Sabadell Banca Privada.
- 1996: Acquisition of NatWest España: Solbank project.
- 1998: Hired Mario Eskenazi to develop a new graphic/logo.
- 2000: Incorporation of Banco Herrero.
- 2001: Floated on the stock market.
- 2002-2004: Introduction of multi-brand strategy.
- 2004: Acquisition of Banco Atlántico.
- 2004: Inclusion in IBEX 35.
- 2006: Acquisition of Banco Urquijo.
- 2007: Acquisition of TransAtlantic Bank, Miami.
- 2008: Zurich, new Bancassurance partner.
- 2009: Acquisition of Mellon United National Bank (Miami).
- 2010: Founding of Sabadell United Bank.
- 2010: Acquisition of Banco Guipuzcoano.
- 2010: New plan CREA 2010-2013.
- 2011: Launching of the SabadellGuipuzcoano brand.
- 2011: Acquisition of Lydian Private Bank (Miami).
- 2011: Selected as winning bidder for Caja de Ahorros del Mediterráneo (CAM).
- 2013: Acquisition of Banco Gallego and Lloyds Banking Group's retail and private banking business and the local investment management business in Spain, Lloyds Bank International. Lloyds is selling its loss-making Spanish operations for a 1.8% stake in Sabadell, worth about €84 million, plus an additional sum of up to €20 million euros over the next five years.
- SabadellAtlántico: the group’s leading brand in the Spanish market. Present throughout Spain except in SabadellGuipuzcoano and Banco Herrero territories. Involved in commercial (mainly retail) and corporate banking.
- SabadellGuipuzcoano: formerly Banco Guipuzcoano. The group’s brand in Navarre, La Rioja and the Basque Country. Involved in retail and corporate commercial banking.
- Banco Herrero: the bank’s only brand in Asturias and León. Operates with a commercial banking model concentrating on retail and corporate customers. The top banking network in Asturias and one of the leading networks in León.
- SabadellSolbank: the group brand specialising in the retail market for long-term foreign residents in Spain and companies operating in the residential tourism sector.
- Sabadell United Bank: commercial banking brand in the United States. Resulting from the acquisition of Mellon United National Bank and the integration of TransAtlantic Bank.
- Banco Urquijo: banking subsidiary specialising in private banking services. Mainly equity consultant for retail customers and institutions. 100% owned by Banco Sabadell.
- Banco Sabadell de Andorra: the bank’s Andorra subsidiary specialising in commercial banking. Ownership shared between Banco Sabadell (51%) and local shareholders (49%).
- Dexia Sabadell: subsidiary specialising in funding local administrations. Ownership divided between Banco Sabadell (40%) and the Dexia Group (60%).
- BanSabadell Fincom: specialising in consumer finance. 100% owned by Banco Sabadell.
|By tranches (n. % of equity)||Other information|
|Up to 120,000 shares||36%||Number of shares||1.390.314.371|
|More than 120,000 shares||64%||Number of shareholders||130.039|
|Current share price (euros)||2,685|
Farrés y Bernaldo, Jesús. 1982. Banco de Sabadell: Cien años de historia. Sabadell.
- Chevalier, Michel (2012). Luxury Brand Management. Singapore: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-1-118-17176-9.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Banc Sabadell.|