Band of Angels
|Band of Angels|
|Directed by||Raoul Walsh|
|Written by||Ivan Goff
|Music by||Max Steiner|
|Edited by||Folmar Blangsted|
|Distributed by||Warner Brothers|
|Running time||125 minutes|
|Box office||$2.5 million (US)|
Band of Angels is a 1957 romantic drama film set in the American South before and during the American Civil War, based on the novel of the same name by Robert Penn Warren. It starred Clark Gable, Yvonne De Carlo, and Sidney Poitier. The movie was directed by Raoul Walsh.
Amantha Starr (Yvonne De Carlo) is the privileged daughter of a Kentucky plantation owner. However, after he dies, a shocking secret is revealed: unbeknownst to Amantha, her mother had been one of her father's black slaves. Legally now property, she is taken by a slave trader to New Orleans to be sold. On the riverboat ride there, he makes it clear that he intends to sleep with her, but desists when she tries to hang herself; as a beautiful, cultured young woman who can pass for white, she is far too valuable to risk losing.
Amantha is put up for auction. When she is callously inspected by a coarse potential buyer, she is rescued from further humiliation by Hamish Bond (Clark Gable), who outbids the cad, paying an exorbitant price for her. Expecting the worst, Amantha is surprised to be treated as a lady, not a slave, by her new owner. At his city mansion, she meets his key slaves, his housekeeper (and former lover) Michele (Carolle Drake) and his conflicted right-hand-man Rau-Ru (Sidney Poitier). Rau-Ru is grateful for the kindness, education and trust Hamish has bestowed on him, but hates him anyway.
As time goes on, Amantha and Hamish fall in love. He arranges to send her to freedom in the North, but she decides to remain with him. To complicate matters further, Hamish harbors a terrible secret from his past that troubles his conscience.
Then, the Civil War breaks out, and New Orleans eventually falls to the Union. Hamish becomes a wanted man when he joins the other plantation owners in burning their crops in defiance. He and Amantha are helped to escape by Rau-Ru, who had fled and joined the Union Army.
- Clark Gable as Hamish Bond
- Yvonne De Carlo as Amantha Starr
- Sidney Poitier as Rau-Ru
- Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. as Lieutenant Ethan Sears, who falls in love with Amantha, believing her to be white
- Rex Reason as Captain Seth Parton, an old friend from her past
- Patric Knowles as Charles de Marigny, a neighboring plantation owner
- Torin Thatcher as Captain Canavan, Bond's seafaring friend from his past
- Andrea King as Miss Idell
- Ray Teal as Mr. Calloway
- Russell Evans as Jimmee, Bond's steward
- Carolle Drake as Michele
- Raymond Bailey as Mr. Stuart, a plantation owner
- Tommie Moore as Dollie, Bond's house servant
- William Schallert as Union Lieutenant (uncredited)
- "Top Grosses of 1957", Variety, 8 January 1958: 30
- Band of Angels at the Internet Movie Database
- Band of Angels at the TCM Movie Database
- Band of Angels at AllMovie