Bandai Namco Holdings
||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (June 2014)|
|Traded as||TYO: 7832|
|Founded||Tokyo, Japan September 29, 2005|
|Headquarters||Shinagawa, Tokyo, Japan|
|Key people||Shukuo Ishikawa
(President and CEO)
|Revenue||US$4.741 billion (2011)|
|Operating income||US$196.488 million (2011)|
|Net income||US$22.225 million (2011)|
|Total assets||¥308.3 billion (2011)|
|Total equity||¥213.7 billion (2011)|
|Employees||7,013 (as of 2011)|
Bandai Namco Holdings Inc. (NBHD) (株式会社バンダイナムコホールディングス Kabushiki Gaisha Bandai Namuko Hōrudingusu?), also known as the Bandai Namco Group, is a Japanese holding company formed from the merger of Namco and Bandai. It has interests in toys, video games and arcades, anime, and amusement parks. The new entity was founded on September 29, 2005. The company has its headquarters in Shinagawa, Tokyo.
Bandai Namco Holdings (USA) Inc. (NBHU) is a regional holding company that oversees U.S.-based operations. It was officially formed on January 2, 2006 and is located in the former Bandai U.S. headquarters in Cypress, California.
The main business of Bandai Namco Holdings consists of the design and implementation of management strategies for the conglomerate and providing support for the overall business of its subsidiaries.
Namco Bandai Holdings was created in 2005, when Namco and Bandai performed a management integration, carried out via a share exchange. The shareholders of Namco received one NBHD share for each Namco share and the shareholders of Bandai received 1.5 NBHD shares for each Bandai share.
Prior to the merger, Bandai owned Sunrise, a Japanese animation company, which became a subsidiary of NBHD following the merger.
NBHD fully acquired developers Banpresto (whose video game operations were absorbed into Namco Bandai Games on April 1, 2008) and Namco Tales Studio since the merger. Formerly, both were partially owned by Bandai and Namco respectively. On March 31, 2006, Namco and Bandai's video game operations merged into Namco Bandai Games Inc. (NBGI). Namco's arcade and facility management continues under the name of Namco Ltd.
Namco Bandai bought a 34% stake in Atari Europe on May 14, 2009, paving the way for its acquisition from Infogrames. Until June 30, 2012, Infogrames has the option to sell the other 66% in Atari Europe to NBHD. Between June 31, 2012 to June 20, 2013, Namco Bandai gains the option to acquire the 66% stake. On the 7th of July 2009, Namco Bandai Holdings bought 100% of Atari Australia Pty Ltd. NBHD acquired 100% of the shares of Atari Asia Holdings Pty. Ltd. and 100% of the shares of Atari UK Ltd. These former Atari companies were merged into Namco Bandai Partners to handle distribution and publishing support in PAL territories, including contracts for other publishers' titles.
Namco Bandai has also created the ShiftyLook webcomic series, which focuses on reviving Namco's classic game series as comic strips. Comic strip series include Bravoman, Sky Kid, Xevious, Alien Confidential, Rocket Fox, Scar (based on Genpei Toumaden), and many more.
In August 2013, Namco Bandai opened a studio in Vancouver.
NBHD is organized into three Strategic Business Units, supplemented by Affiliated Business Companies that provide logistical support. The SBUs consist of Toys & Hobby, Content (video games, anime and recording), and Amusement Facility (theme parks).
The organization of NBHD has changed considerably since the merger. In 2007, NBHD consisted of 5 SBUs and the Affiliated Business Companies. In April 2009, the Game Contents SBU and the Network SBU were merged and since April 2010, NBHD consists of three SBUs and the Affiliated Business Companies.
Toys & Hobby SBU
- Bandai Co., Ltd.
- Bandai S.A.
- Bandai UK Ltd.
- Bandai España S.A.
- Bandai GmbH.
- Bandai Polska SP.ZO.O
- Bandai (H.K.) Co., Ltd.
- Bandai Asia Co., Ltd.
- Bandai Korea Co., Ltd.
- Creative Works Co., Ltd.
- Bandai (Guangzhou) Co., Ltd.
- Bandai Taiwan Co., Ltd.
- Bandai South Asia Pte., Ltd.
- Bandai Industrial Co., Ltd.
- Bandai (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd.
- Bandai America Inc.
- Bandai Corporacion Mexico S.A. de C.V.
- Megahouse Corporation.
- CCP Co., Ltd.
- Seeds Co., Ltd.
- Plex Co., Ltd.
- People Co., Ltd.
- Sun-Star Stationary Co., Ltd.
The Content SBU is responsible for all video game products, including games for home consoles, arcades, and mobile platforms, as well as anime production and distribution. The bulk of these facilities are made up by the former Namco, also with Banpresto and D3 Publisher, and the Sunrise anime production company, along with the following:
|Bandai Namco Games||Bandai Namco Games||Tokyo, Japan||Merged from video game development divisions of Bandai and Namco in 2006.|
|Bandai Namco Studios||Tokyo, Japan|
|Bandai Namco Games Asia||Bandai Namco Games Asia||China|
|Bandai Namco Games Korea||South Korea|
|Bandai Namco Games Taiwan||Taiwan|
|Bandai Namco Games HK (Hong Knog)||Hong Kong|
|Bandai Namco Studios Singapore||Singapore|
|D3 Publisher||D3 Publisher||Japan||Founded in 1992. Acquired in 2009.|
|Vicious Cycle Software|
|Cellius||Tokyo, Japan||Founded in 2007.|
|Bandai Visual||Bandai Visual||Shiodome, Minato, Tokyo, Japan|
- Bandai Namco Games America
- Bandai Namco Games Brazil
- Bandai Namco Studios Vancouver
- Bandai Namco Online
- Bandai Entertainment
|Bandai Namco Games Europe||Bandai Namco Games Europe|
|Bandai Namco Games France|
|Bandai Namco Games Hellas (Greece)|
|Bandai Namco Games Nordic|
|Bandai Namco Games Portugal|
|Bandai Namco Games Iberica|
|Bandai Namco Games Germany|
|Bandai Namco Games UK (United Kingdom)|
|Bandai Namco Games Romania|
- Bandai Namco Games Australia
- Bandai Namco Games NZ (New Zealand)
- Namco Bandai Studios Asia Pty Ltd in Sydney, Australia, formerly Infogrames Studios Asia Pty Ltd and Atari Studios Pty Ltd.
- Namco Bandai Melbourne House Pty Ltd in Melbourne, Australia, formerly Infogrames Melbourne House Pty Ltd and Atari Melbourne House Pty Ltd.
- Namco Bandai Partners Australia Pty Ltd in Sydney, Australia, founded as Ozisoft Pty Ltd in 1982, acquired July 7, 2009 from Atari.
- Namco Bandai Partners Asia Holdings Pty Ltd in Sydney, Australia. Former names have been Atari Asia Holdings Pty Ltd and Infogrames Asia Holdings Pty Ltd, serves as Namco Bandai's asset holdings company for the Asian region outside of Japan.
- Banpresto Co., Ltd. is headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, founded April 1977 as Hoei Sangyo, Co. Ltd, acquired April 1, 2008.
- Namco Tales Studio in Tokyo, Japan, founded as Wolf Team in 1986, fully acquired from Telenet Japan on September 29, 2005.
- Namco Networks America Inc.
Amusement Facility SBU
The Amusement Facility SBU oversees the company's theme parks and the management of its own arcades, most of which were acquired through the merger with Namco.
- Hanayashiki Co. Ltd, acquired with Banpresto in March 2006.
- Namco Ltd.
- Pleasure Cast Co. Ltd, acquired with Banpresto in March 2006.
Affiliated Business Companies
- "en_2011_3". Bandai-Namco.
- Bandai, Namco to merge in Sept to form Japan's No 3 toy, game group - UPDATE 2, Forbes.com, 5 February 2005, archived from the original on 14 August 2011, retrieved 20 December 2010
- "Corporate Data | About Company | BANDAI NAMCO Holdings". Bandainamco.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- Namco Bandai Holdings (USA) Inc. introduction, Bandai Namco, retrieved 4 August 2010
- "Tekken's worldwide domination continues as it goes online for the first time on the Playstation 3 system". Namco Bandai Games America Inc. Retrieved 23 January 2011.
- "NAMCO BANDAI Holdings Inc. Announces Acquisition of CCP Co., Ltd.". Reuters. 2006-09-12. Retrieved 2010-12-31.[dead link]
- About Company - History, Namco Bandai Holdings Inc., retrieved 31 December 2010
- "Games, reviews, previews, nieuws, tips, video's en trailers - IGN Benelux". Uk.games.ign.com. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- "About Company - History". Namco Bandai Holdings Inc. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Namco Bandai To Swallow Atari Europe". Edge. 2009-05-14. Retrieved 2009-05-30.
- Schilling, Mark (2008-09-10). "Namco Bandai buys Infogrames stake". Reed Business Information. Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- "Infogrames And Namco Bandai's Europe Joint Venture". kotaku.com. Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- "Namco Bandai Holdings Inc. Fully Acquires Three Companies". Reuters. 2009-11-05. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- Rob Crossley. "D3 Publisher Addresses Namco Bandai Takeover".
- "Namco Bandai Opens Social Gaming Development Studio In Vancouver". Vending Times. September 1, 2013. Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- "BANDAI NAMCO Group | BANDAI NAMCO Holdings". Bandainamco.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- Namco Bandai Holdings Inc. Annual Report 2007, Namco Bandai Holdings, retrieved 21 December 2010
- Namco Bandai Holdings Inc. Annual Report 2009, Namco Bandai Holdings, retrieved 21 December 2010
- Namco Bandai Holdings Inc. Annual Report 2010, Namco Bandai Holdings, retrieved 21 December 2010
- Toys and Hobby, Namco Bandai, retrieved 19 October 2010
- Global Development, Bandai, retrieved 19 October 2010
- [dead link]