Bandaranayake College, Gampaha
|Bandaranayake College Gampaha|
Scholar Is Always Honored
|Established||1918 September 18|
|Founder||Mr. Charles Samarasooriya|
|Principal||Mr. Lal Dissanayake|
|Grades||Classes from 6 - 13|
|Colour(s)||Blue and Maroon
Bandaranayake College Gampaha (Sinhala: බණ්ඩාරනායක විද්යාලය ගම්පහ) was founded in September 1918. It is considered to be the leading Public School in Gampaha. It is a National School, meaning that it is controlled by the central government as opposed to the Provincial Council and provides only the secondary education.Bandaranayaka College is a boys' secondary school as well as the foremost college in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka was dominated by the British rulers in 1795. In 1918 there were some educational changes in the field. As the result of it St. Mary's College in Veyangoda and Udugampola Vidayalaya were established in Gampaha District to enhance the education of the children. Grade 6, 7, 8 classes were shifted from Udugampola Vidayalaya to Henarathgoda Senior English College about 100 students was started. Its former principal was Mr.Charles Samarasooriya, who was appointed there on 18.09.1918. In 1921 the Government agent pressure displaced the name as “Gampaha Government School” which was established at the place where Yasodara Devi Balika Vidayalaya located at present on 04.10.1921. It did a great service for the education of the children around there. Not only an education centre, it was a communication center too. There was a group about 150 boy scouts who contributed themselves to build up a greater society. Mr.Charles Samarasooriya did his best duty and service until 30.04.1922, making it wholesome and greater education centre. After that Mr.T.S Selvaiya became the principal of this school on 01.02.1923 and did service for a short period and left there in 1924. Mr. Lal Disanayake is the present principal of Bandaranayake College. He Started On 2nd April 2013, the inaugural Cricket encounter between Bandaranayake College and Lumbini Vidyalaya-Colombo was held at Colts ground.It was a historic event for the school.And he built 6 grade hall for students... He also repair the main hall too... He is the best principal in the school history... :)
Era of Mr. E.W Samarasinghe
He did a very remarkable service during his period which was recorded graciously in the history of the school. He started a Cadet Platoon and made a stadium for practices. This cadet platoon showed their best performances in the field. He completed his great service on 03.03.1939.
- Mr.H.Silva (04.05.1939-04.05.1941),
- Mr.K.A Peris (05.05.1941-29.02.1944),
- Mr.C.W.Samarasinghe (01.12.1944-07.08.1947),
- Mr. M.R.Cooray (01.05.1949-31.12.1953) and
- Mr.J.P.J Dissanayake (1953–1954) were principals who did their contribution in the administration.
Era of Mr.J.Munasinghe
In 1954 Mr.J. Munasingahe became the principal of Henarathgoda Senior English College. He did his immense service to record an immortal history of the school. First he replaced this school to Kasagahawattha area in Gampaha district. A land which was donated by a European called “Green” was need to build up this school in 1957. Late S.D Bandaranayke helped for him greatly. At that time there were only 22 tutorial staff and classes were up to G.C.E (A/L). In 1956 the medium of education is changed to English to Sinhala which signified the local needs. A school song was composed by the teacher in charge of music Mr.C.W Thirimanna, college symbol, school music band and sports facilities were provided for the students. To felicitate the late S.W.R.D.Bandaranayake the name of the school was changed as Bandaranayake Maha Vidyalaya at this time. He completed his marvelous service on 06.05.1968.
Era of Mr S.A Subasinghe (1968–1971)
He was a past pupil of the school and he did an immense service to uphold the educational and the outstanding features of the school during his period. He left the school on 22.12.1971.
Era of Mr D.N Rajapaksha (1972–1979)
He was appointed on the principal of the school on 01.03.1972. His period of administration became the golden era of the school history including;
- School volleyball team won the All Island Trophy.
- Formed dancing groups under the service of Mr. Wimal Wayanarda.
- To give a proper and systematical education for the students the new teaching methods were introduced.
- Formed some disciplinary rules to improve the discipline of students and teachers
- Did not care about political influence.
- Build up a Buddhist Shrine room under the patronage of Mr. C.W Jayasinghe.
- Instructed the teachers to be well behaved on students.
He drew the attention of authorities in education field to up hold the level of the school. On 18.10.1979 he left the school being a director of education.
After that Mr.Dhamasiri Gunapala, Mr.Edward Jayanetthi Arachchi (1980–1982) and Mr.Kolitha Jayasundara (1982–1983) became the principals.
Era of Mr.P.Udugampola
Mr.Premasena Udugampola marked his remarkable service in the history of the school, becoming the principal on 15.10.1983. He did useful changes during his period in the school. He reformed the Bandaranayke mix school as a boys’ school. A three storied science Section was built and more sports facilities were given. He tried to cerate disciplinary behavior among the students. He was promoted to the Ministry of Education on 20.06.1988.
Era of P.P.D.T Acquinas (1988–1989)
He Become the Principal in 1988 and he patronaged to up hold the outstanding skills of students by organized an Educational Exhibition from 11.10.1989 to 18.10.1989. He completed his service in 1989.
Era of Mr.R.M. Sumanapala
Mr. R.M. Sumanapala become the principal of Bandaranayake College on 17.11.1992. He did a very precious and immense service for the fame and the grace of the college.
To up held the spiritual background of the students he started a meditating program among the students.
- Improve the beauty of the nature around it by growing trees, flowers in the environment.
- 75th of Anniversary was celebrated on 18.08.1993 by organizing Science, handicraft and painting Exhibition with the contribute of 2500 students.
- Conducted conferences for prefects.
- Organized “Bhakthigeetha Program” on Vesak Day.
- Parents meeting were organized.
- Same Vocational training courses were started for school leavers.
- Build up a wall around the school promises.
- A Too Stayed building was constructed.
- A new toilet system was established.
- Some Vocational Courses on Broadcasting Rupavahini and Photography were started.
- Seminars were organized for O/L and A/L Students.
School Premises is 12 acres in extend and there were 2500 students and 76 qualified Tutorial Staff. Certainly, the Principal Mr. Sumanapala was a great, exemplary character in the role of principal. He used his valuable experiences to would a qualified, disciplinary younger generation of the country with the contribution of his qualified staff. Very significant characteristic of his principal role is the honesty and the truthfulness. His vision is always based on the religious background which helps to make a wholesome society. No doubt he committed his great service on behalf of the students with much dedication and wisely.
|Mr.Dharma Sri Gunapala||
|Rev.Labuthale Sudassana Thero||
The College today
Today the school educates close to 5000 students of Grade 6-13 consisting about 100 parallel classes. To accomplish this task the school is fully equipped with all the required facilities such as lecture halls, science & computer laboratories, auditoriums etc. This includes the 'College Hall' which is a national theatre. For many years the school has maintained an excellent academic record with its students archiving the highest grades at all national exams held annually. The main medium of education had been English, however with Sinhala becoming the official language. Since 2002 English as been reintroduced as a medium of education at College. Students may select one of the three mediums to conduct their studies in.
Sport And School Bands are the major parts of Bandaranayke College since the olden days. Therefore, the school has developed its sports infrastructure to the finest standards.
The students are divided into 4 Houses:
- Gamunu (Blue) Blue
- Parakkrama (Yellow) Yellow
- Tissa (Green) Green
- Vijaya (Red) Red
The names are derived from distinguished past kings of Sri Lanaka. The houses compete annually in all major games to win the respective inter-house games. This is a great opportunity for young students to enhance their skills.
Sport is a major part of Bandaranayake College, with over 25 different sports played.
Other sports played at College includes;
Clubs and societies
Some of these are:
The Senior Cadet Platoon of Bandaranayake College was started as the second government school cadet corps under group F and it has a history of over 83 years. Now it consists of Cadet platoon, Eastern Cadet Band and Western Cadet Band. Cadet Platoon started in 1927, Eastern Cadet Band started in 1978 and Western Cadet Band started in 2001.
In 1994,Cadet Platoon won the Herman Loos Challenge Trophy.After 18 years in 2012 cadet platoon won the hermen loos challenge Trophy.
In 1992, 1993 and 1994, Eastern Cadet Band won the Br. A.E.R. Abeysinghe Challenge Trophy consecutively for all island 1st place as the first school in such performance.
In 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2011, Western Cadet Band won the Gen. T.I Weerathunga Shield consecutively for all island first place.
- 1979-1981 Upul Chandrasena
- 1982-1983 No Head Prefect was appointed (Responsibility was shared by Nishantha Peiris & Mangala Karunarathna being most senior prefects)
- 1983-1984 Mangala Karunarathna
- 1984-1985 Jagath Ananda
- 1985-1986 Ananda Kollure
- 1986-1987 A.K. Anura Kumara
- 1987-1988 Lanka Bandara
- 1988-1990 Malika Amarasekara
- 1990-1991 Dharshana Wijesundara
- 1991-1992 Manoj Thilakarathna
- 1992-1993 Akalanka Sri Dayarathna
- 1993-1994 Thilanka Thusitha Kumara
- 1994-1995 Deshapriya Dangalla
- 1995-1996 Chamila Disanayake
- 1996-1997 Buddhika Ravindra Kumara
- 1997-1998 Ranjith Eranda Adhikari
- 1998-1999 Chathura Mihilal Dayarathna
- 1999-2000 Nalin Indika Wijayapathirana
- 2000-2001 Buddhika Disanayake
- 2001-2002 Sachithra Milan Prabha
- 2003-2005 Sajith Wenuka
- 2005-2006 Tharanga Rukmal
- 2006-2007 Kasun Chandana Jayakodi
- 2007-2008 Thilina Sampath Kaluarachchi
- 2008-2009 Jagath Prasanna Thilakarathna
- 2009-2010 Anjula Kumara Senavirathna
- 2010-2011 Ruchira Dhanushka Gamage
- 2011-2012 Thilan Kasunga Mayadunna
- 2012-2013 W.P.Isuru Udana
- 2013-2014 Shantha Sandaruwan
- 1998 – The donations to the army hospital.
- 1999 – The donations to the Kandegama Vidyalaya
- 2000-2001 – The renovation to Kotamuduna Vidyalaya
- 2001-2002 – The donations to Kotamuduna Vidyalaya
- 2003-2005 – The donations to refugees at Padaviya | The donations to Nidanwela K.V
- 2005-2006 – Donations to Tsunami victims | Organizing a blood donation camp
- 2006-2007 - Organizing a blood donation camp | Donation of food worth Rs.250000 to Katthaparichchan Army H.Q | Donation of a library t o Mihindupura K.V | Holding a leader ship training camp.
- 2012-2013 - school development project(Ampara,Lahugala paranagovipala k.v) / Holding a leadership training camp
The term X-Ban has been created in the sense ”The Exhibition held in Bandaranayake College”. The supreme talents and the marvelous creativity of the students of Bandaranayke College who expand the horizons of education can be well seen in the exhibition “The X-Ban 2008” which is the result of extreme talent and unity will be a great success.
This exhibition was held for the first time in 1993 to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the school. From that exhibition onwards X-Ban has been held in every four years. X-Ban is one of the bigger school exhibitions in Sri Lanka.
Bandaranayake College Old Boys Association
Old Boys Association (OBA) of Bandaranayake College was inaugurated in 1970 decades with the objective to give strength to School and the Principal as an instructional leader. Old Boys Association (OBA) of Bandaranayake College, unsurpassable accelerated and dynamic development begun on 1980 decades onward enable to achieve the above objectives by providing fullest support to the College.
Present life membership has increased up to nearly 3000 members and has earn a respectable position on account of its invaluable service rendered as a strong supporting arms to the College. Old Boys Association (OBA) of Bandaranayake College was inaugurated in 1970 decades with the objective to give strength to School and the Principal as an instructional leader.
Old Boys Association (OBA) of Bandaranayake College, unsurpassable accelerated and dynamic development begun on 1980 decades onward enable to Present life membership has increased up to nearly 4000 members and has earn a respectable position on account of its invaluable service rendered as a strong supporting arms to the College.
- Kasun Henegama - Sri Lanka Hockey player
- Nuwan Kulasekara - Sri Lankan cricketer
- H. R. Mithrapala - Member of Parliament
- Nilanka Premaratne - Sri Lanka 'A' Team player
- Karunadasa Sooriyarachchi - Chief Editor, Silumina
- Ajith Mannapperuma - Member of Parliament
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bandaranayake College, Gampaha.|
- Media Unit
- Cadet Corp
- YouTube Channel