|Regions with significant populations|
Banerjee (Bengali: ব্যানার্জি Bênarji) or Bandopadhyay (Bengali: বন্দ্যোপাধ্যায় Bôndopaddhae) is a surname in the Bengal region of India. The name is also spelt Bannerjee, Banerji, Banerjie,Bonnerjee and Bandopadhyaya.
"Indian (Bengal) and Bangladeshi: Hindu (Brahman) name, the first element of which, Ban-, is a shortened form of the village name Bandoghat. The final element -jee is derived from jha (greatly reduced form of Sanskrit upadhyaya ‘teacher’); thus, Banerjee ‘teacher from the village of Bandoghat’. In Bengali names formed with -jee, the initial element is believed to indicate a village granted by Ballal Sen, a legendary ancient king of Bengal, to the ancestor of the person bearing the surname. A Sanskrit version of this name, Vandyopadhyaya, was coined later, from the elements vandya ‘venerable’ + upadhyaya ‘teacher’. "
— Dictionary of American Family Names, Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-508137-4
The family surname of the Tagores is Banerjee(Bandopadhyay).
According to their family tradition the Tagores trace their descent from Rarheya Brahmins of Shandilya clan from Kanauj who settled in the region situated on the right bank of river Hooghly(Rarh) in the eighth century A.D. Bhattanarayana was a Brahmin of this clan who was an established Saskrit Littérateur.Round about tenth century A.D one of his sons Dinanath migrated to the other side of the river where he got a gift of 'Kush gram' in Burdwan.Thus he came to be known as Dinanath Kushari giving up his own surname Bandyopadhyay. Later the Kusharis (descendants of Dinanath Kushari) migrated to Jessore, Khulna.
Notable people with the surname Banerjee / Bandopadhyay
- Abhijit Banerjee
- Amiya Charan Banerjee
- Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar, key figure in the Bengal renaissance.
- Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay
- Tarashankar Bandopadhyay
- Manik Banerjee
- Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay
- Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
- Dibakar Banerjee, film director.
- Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay
- Gopeshwar Banerjee
- Kali Banerjee, actor.
- Kanu Banerjee (1905–1985), actor (Pather Panchali)
- Karuna Banerjee (1919 – 2001), actress (Pather Panchali)
- Debina Bonnerjee, actress.
- Nikhil Banerjee
- Raghab Bandyopadhyay, prose writer.
- Rachana Banerjee, actor.
- Ram Mohan Roy, educator.
- Rina Banerjee
- Ruprekha Banerjee
- Sarnath Banerjee
- Sushmita Banerjee, writer
- Victor Banerjee, actor.
- Jenni Banerjee, actress.
- Bidisha Bandyopadhyay, writer, broadcaster.
- Tagore family (the Tagore family surname is Bandopadhyay/Banerjee).
- Haradhan Bandopadhyay, actor.
- Sara Banerji, Writer
- Ambica Banerjee
- Mamata Banerjee
- Womesh Chandra Banerjee, first president of the Indian National Congress.
- Surendranath Banerjee
- Albion Rajkumar Banerjee
- Gooroodas Banerjee
- Krishna Mohan Banerjee
- Subhankar Banerjee
- Robin Banerjee
- Aditi Banerjee,Attorney, writer, editor.
|This page or section lists people with the surname Banerjee. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|