|• Total||5.5 km2 (2.1 sq mi)|
|Elevation||843 m (2,766 ft)|
|• Density||7,000/km2 (18,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Bangarapet is a town in Kolar district in Indian state of Karnataka. Bangarpet is the headquarters of the taluk of Bangarpet. Bangarpet was originally called Maramootlu before it was changed to Bowringpet, named after an officer working in the Kolar Gold Fields. This town came into existence as the connecting point for the traffic between the gold fields and Bangalore.
This town is famous in Karnataka for its rice trading.
According to Ramcharitamanasa, Sita Devi (Wife of Lord Rama), after being banished by her husband, lived in the ashram of Valmiki situated in today's Avani in Mulbalgal taluk. This is where Lord Rama and Sita Devi's twin sons - Lava and Kusha, were born.
Sita Devi, while being in the ashram, used to wander bare foot around the present area of Bangarpet. Legend has it that, the places where Sita wandered bare foot turned into gold mines because of the blessing of Goddess Lakshmi. Bangara or Bangaram in Kannada and Telugu respectively means gold. Hence the name of the town 'Bangarpet'. The Kolar gold fields situated very close of Bangarpet testifies his piece of history.
Bangarpet is connected by State Highway No. 4 up to Kolar and then by National Highway No. 4 up to Bangalore. The distance through road is approximately 90 km.
Bangarapet railway station is the last railway junction in Karnataka before the Bangalore-Chennai line enters Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. Nearly 87 trains stop here, and it is the second largest railway station in Karnataka after Bangalore. Bangarpet is approximately 71 km from Bangalore City via rail route. People travelling to Kolar Gold Fields (KGF) need to change trains here while travelling in trains bound to Bangalore or Chennai. Around 50 thousand people travel By train from Bangarpet to Bangalore to earn their livelihood.
Bangarapet is famous for chaat & other savories, especially paani poori. The popularity of paani poori is widely spread from among common man to high profile people including the celebrities of Kannada movie industry. Bangarpet Paani poori has slowly found a firm place in the food menu of marriage and other functions.
Bangarapet is also famous for Karaga. The season of karaga is usually termed as 'Jaathre' is usually held in the month of May every year. The chariot festival of Kothanda Ramtemplea temple is also very famous. The Dargah Urs (Hazrath Shamshuddin Aulia) which takes place every year with grand ceremony by the Muslims. It symbolizes unity and harmony among people from various communities in Bangarpet.
Bangarapet is famous for the Chowdeshwari and sapta matrukeyara temple of Attigiri Koppa. It was old temple and had reached the falling stage. People of Hunasanahalli village reconstructed it fully of white stones. It was inaugurated on 23rd February 2015. In this temple there are Lord Ganesha and Subrahmanya swamy idols also. People across the state visit here. Every amavasyam special pooja is held. Hundreds of people gather here. It was built by few saints thousands of years ago. Address: Sri chowdeshwari and sapta matrukeyara temple, attigiri koppa village, bangarapet.
Bangarapet is a town municipality with 23 municipal wards, each ward is represented by a councilor directly elected by the people. Councillors elect the president and vice president among themselves.
There are numerous Schools, D. Ed and nursing colleges in and around the town.Infant Jesus School is the top 1 school in Bangarapet. The school is giving its 100% efforts to improve the child's education. IBM [Islami Baithul Maal] English School and PU College, S.I.B.S(South India Biblical Seminary) called as Anandagiri, is a Bible College. Other schools include Sandeepani public school vijaynagar, Santosh School, Infant Jesus school, Global Jain school. Little Flowers School in Amaravathi nagar is fast emerging school.
For the 1st Time, A Great flood lights State level tennis ball cricket tournament was arranged in 2003-04 by Hoysala Cricketers. Apart from Cricket, there are several other sports like FootBall, VolleyBall, Kabaddi and Kho-Kho.
As of 2001[update] India census, Bangarapet had a population of 98,000. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Bangarapet has an average literacy rate of 72%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 54% of the males and 46% of females literate. 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The people of Bangarapet depend largely on jobs in Bangalore for earning money. People generally work in IT and private companies in and around Bangalore. The town is very well connected with Bangalore city, facilitating in a huge daily floating population travelling to Bangalore to earn their living. A portion of the people work in the nearby public sector factory of Bharath Earth Movers Limited.
Most Popular Schools in Bangarpet
- Jyothi Public School,SLV Building Bangarpet
- Navachethana School, Bangarpet
- Adarsha vidyalaya, B.E.O Office compound Bangarpet
- Sandeepani public school Bangarpet
- Infant Jesus School Bangarpet
- Kendriya vidyalaya, BEML Nagar
- Government Junior College, Bangarpet Taluk
- Sree Venkateshwara Best School of English, Bangarpet
- I.B.M. (Islami Baithul Mal) English School Bangarpet
- Government High School, Bangarpet
- Santosh School of English, Bangarpet
- The Nava Chetana High School, Bangarpet
- The Kumarans High School, Bangarpet
- Sharadha School
- The Field Marshal Cariappa High School
- The Subhashini High School
- The Kumaran's High School
- The Srinivasa High School
- Government Boys Higher Primary School, Bangarpet
- Gandhi Primary School, Bangarpet
- Government Primary Urdu School, Bangarpet
- Ashley International School
- Little Flowers School, Amaravathi Nagar. Bangarpet
- Jain Global School, Bangarpet
Colleges in Bangarapet
- Government First Grade College, Bangarpet,
- Boys PU College, Bangarpet,
- Girls PU College, Bangarpet,
- Sree Lakshmi Vidyalaya Teacher Training Institute (D.Ed), Bangarpet, Kolar
- K.G.F Law College,K.G.F,Bangarpet Taluk,
- Dr. T. Thimmiah Institute of Technology.KGF,Bangarpet Taluk,
- Dental College, Aladamara,KGF,Bangarpet Taluk,
- Jain College, KGF,Bangarpet Taluk,
- gokul college. bangarpet
- South India Biblical Seminary, (Anandagiri) Budukott Rd, Bangarpet
- I.B.M PU College, Bangarpet
Sky-Net International Computer Education
Sky-Net International Computer Education
Certified by Govt of India
Sarva Education Karnataka state Co-ordinator - Raghavendra BR/centre Head
Contact :- 08050506535 ,07676060670
Shravan Internet Mob : 9901860136 Flight Bookings Bus Bookings
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bangarapet.|