|Slogan||Bengali: আপনার ভাষায় কথা বলে - Apnar bhashay kotha bole
English: Speaks your language
|Headquarters||Hackney Wick, London|
|Astra 2F||12552 V 22000 5/6|
Launched in 1999, Bangla TV was the first Bengali language television channel in the UK. It operated as a subscription-only channel until 2005, following the arrival of Channel S, a rival channel providing a free-to-air service targeting its programming specifically for the Bengali Sylheti community in the UK. Following the launch of Channel S, Bangla TV also switched over to a non-subscription based model and to date have been providing the service free.
Bangla TV was removed from Sky channel 786 on 1 July 2010, before returning on 9 July, no explanation was provided. Bangla TV was again removed from the Sky EPG during December 2010 before being found in serious breach of Ofcom rules. The channel returned again on 17 June 2011, under new management.
Since the arrival of Channel S, there has been rivalry between the two channels. Bangla TV had previously been the monopoly provider and as a result had broadcast many UK community based events such as the Baishakhi Mela, Bangladesh Film Awards and Pitha Uthshob. Pitha Utshob is the biggest.
- Live 4 Life - Presented By Dr Md Zaker Ullah
- "Bangla TV removed from Sky Digital". Biz Asia. 2010-07-05.
- "Bangla TV in serious breach of Ofcom rules". Biz Asia. 24 January 2011.
- "Bangla TV returns to Sky Digital EPG slot". Biz Asia. 17 June 2011.
- "Bangla TV set for return on Sky Digital?". Biz Asia. 18 April 2011.