Bangladesh Islami Chhatra Shibir
||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (August 2014)|
Bangladesh Islami Chhatra Shibir (Bengali: বাংলাদেশ ইসলামী ছাত্রশিবির) is political students organization in Bangladesh. Islami Chhatra Shibir, serves as the youth wing of the Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami. Before 1971 Bangladesh liberation war it was known as Islami Chattara Shangha, which was involved in collaborating with West Pakistan army and committed war crime. In 1971, leaders of Islami Chattara Shangha formed the paramilitary group Al Badar, who were involved in killing intellectuals. In February 2014, a US think tank organization's study titled "IHS Jane’s 2013 Global Terrorism & Insurgency Attack Index” listed Shibir as third largest armed group in the world., an allegation that Shibir has both denied and protested.
Chhatra Shibir was established in February 6, 1977, in Dhaka University central mosque. According to their principle they have a mission, "To satisfy Allah through the rearrangement of the total life of human being in the way given by Allah and shown by the Muhammad". It was known as Pakistan Islami Chattra Shangha. before the Liberation war of Bangladesh
In 1971 this party was known as Pakistan Islami Chattra Shangha, members of which led the formation of Al-Badr that involved in the 1971 killing of bengali intellectuals and some of them have already been convicted and executed by International Crimes Tribunal. Activists of this organization extort money from the students of many educational institutions, hostel residents and traders of neighbouring areas in the name of Baitul Mal (party fund). Activists of Shibir also pressure the students to sign the supporter's document (form) of the organization as well as join the organisation. This student group is also involved in violent clashes with other student groups, is extremely militant and has been linked to numerous acts of violence. The group has also been linked to a number of larger terrorist organizations both in Bangladesh, and internationally.
Signature killing by cutting tendon
Killing law enforcement force
Attack on minority Hindu and Buddhist
After Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami leader Delwar Hossain Sayeedi's death sentence due to war crimes conviction, Jamaat along with Sibir start violence all over the country. They start targeting minority Hindu people. Lots of Hindu tempels were vandalized by them.
Ranked as third largest armed group in the world
In February 2014, US based defence think tank IHS Jane published a report titled "IHS Jane’s 2013 Global Terrorism & Insurgency Attack Index”, where Shibir ranked third as non-state armed groups in 2013. The organisation has protested the study findings, strongly condemning the ranking and expressing astonishment.
- Bangladesh Chhatra League
- 1971 killing of Bengali intellectuals
- 1971 Bangladesh atrocities
- Bangladesh Nationalist Party
- Bangladesh Awami League
- "Shibir world’s 3rd top armed group: Study". The Daily Star (Bangladesh). February 24, 2014. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- "Islami Chhatra Shibir (ICS) , South Asia Terrorism Portal". Satp.org. 2001-01-13. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "The Trial We are Waiting For". The Daily Star (Bangladesh). January 9, 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Nizami turned Chhatra Sangha into Al-Badr". The Daily Star (Bangladesh). May 8, 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "War trial ‘a joke’". The Daily Star (Bangladesh). July 22, 2013. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Shibir a top non-state armed group: IHS Jane’s". Dhaka Tribune. February 25, 2014. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- "Shibir protests IHS ranking". Dhaka Tribune. 25 February 2014. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- "Islami Chhatra Shibir | Terrorist Groups | TRAC". Trackingterrorism.org. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- The Hindu
- "Kamaruzzaman led Razakar, Al-Badr and Al-Shams: witness". Newagebd.com. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- Tuhin Shubhra Adhikary. "Key man of Al-Badr". Thedailystar.net. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "Mirpur butcher Molla must die, says SC". bdnews24.com. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "Mojaheed indicted for genocide, crimes against humanity". Newagebd.com. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- New Age
- The Daily Star
- "Islami Chhatra Shibir". Priyo News. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Terrorist Organization Profile: Islami Chhatra Shibir (ICS)". National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Shibir 'cuts' BCL leader’s tendon". bdnews24.com. 2013-10-31. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Shibir men cut Rajshahi BCL leader’s tendon". The Daily Star (Bangladesh). December 18, 2013. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Shibir cadres cut tendons of RU BCL leader". Dhaka Tribune. August 23, 2013. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "RU BCL activist's foot chopped off". bdnews24.com. 29 April 2014. Retrieved 29 April 2014. "The Jamaat-Shibir activists are known to cut tendons of their rivals."
- "Savage attack by Shibir". The Daily Star (Bangladesh). April 2, 2013. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Shibir men attack cops in Rajshahi again". The Daily Star (Bangladesh). April 1, 2013. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "80 injured as Jamaat clashes with police". New Age. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Hindu temples, homes attacked across Bangladesh". Indian Express. 14 March 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- "Bangladesh Islamists torch Hindu temples and homes in pre-planned carnage". The Standard. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- "Jamaat continues attacking Hindus". The Daily Star (Bangladesh). March 6, 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- "Hindu temples, homes attacked across Bangladesh". Dawn. 2013-03-13. Retrieved 18 April 2014.