The front cover of a contemporary Bangladeshi passport.
|Type of document||Passport|
|Eligibility requirements||Bangladeshi citizenship, Bangladeshi by birth or descent|
The Bangladesh passport is issued to citizens of Bangladesh for international travel. The passport may be issued by the Government of The People's Republic of Bangladesh or by any of its overseas missions to any Bangladeshi citizen who are citizens by birth or by descent. The passport of Bangladesh is valid in all countries of the world except Israel, which is a state not recognised by Bangladesh.
Types of Bangladesh passport
There are three types of passports that a Bangladeshi citizen may hold.
- Regular or Tourist passport (green cover)
This is the most common type of passport. Any citizen of Bangladesh may possess a "regular" or "tourist" passport for international travel.Any age of Children traveling also require this passport and may not travel under their parent's passport. The maximum validity period of a "tourist" or "regular" passport is 5 years.
- Service OR Official passport (blue cover)
Government officials of Bangladesh are entitled to carry this type of passport. It provides the holders with visa free access to certain countries that usually don't allow visa free access to "regular" or "tourist" passport holders. The "official" passport is identified by a blue stamp on the first page that reads "Official".
- Diplomatic passport (red cover)
This type of passport can only be held by Bangladeshi citizens who are members or staff of the diplomatic community. In addition to them, the Members of Parliament, High-ranking officials of Armed Forces and other high officials of the government also receives this type of privilege passport. This passport provides visa free access to more countries than the "official" passport. "Diplomatic" passports can be distinctly identified by their red cover which sets them apart from the green-colored "tourist", "regular" or "official" passports.
The Bangladesh Government has implemented a project  to replace 6.6 million Bangladeshi passports with new machine-readable passports. According to a guideline of The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Machine-readable Passport (MRP) and Machine-readable Visa (MRV) issue started by Bangladesh Government from April, 2010. However, all traditional non-MR passports will be honored as a bona fide travel document issued by the Bangladesh Government until it expires. All traditional non-MR passports must be withdrawn from circulation by November 2015. Machine-readable passports for are produced by Polish Security Printing Works (Polska Wytwornia Papierow Wartosciowych). 
The Bangladesh government will set up 85 new passport offices and six visa cells at home and abroad for issuing Machine-readable Passports (MRPs) and Machine-readable Visas (MRVs). For non resident Bangladeshis 66 passport offices will be set up at 66 Bangladesh missions and consulates abroad, who will issue the Machine-readable Passports. The replacement of all the passports will take almost 3 years, which will fall inside the deadline of November 2015.
In August 2012, it was discovered that up to 6,000 MRPs were invalid through Immigration Headquarters in Agargaon. Over 100,000 passports make invalid by the Department of Immigration and Passports
Data on passports
The inside cover contains the date and place of issuance of the passport as well as the declaration of the President, addressing the authorities of all other states, identifying the bearer as a citizen of the People's Republic of Bangladesh and requesting that he or she be allowed to pass and be treated as per international norms. The note inside of the Bangladeshi passports states:
In Bengali (Bangla):
- গণপ্রজাতন্ত্রী বাংলাদেশের রাষ্ট্রপতির পক্ষে সংশ্লিষ্ট সকলকে এই মর্মে জানান যাইতেছে এবং প্রত্যাশা করা হইতেছে যে, ইহার বাহককে অবাধে ও বিনা প্রতিবন্ধকতায় গমনাগমনের অনুমতি এবং তাহার প্রয়োজনে সকল প্রকার সহায়তা ও নিরাপত্তা প্রদান করা হউক।
- গণপ্রজাতন্ত্রী বাংলাদেশের রাষ্ট্রপতির আদেশক্রমে
- These are to request and require in the name of the President of the People's Republic of Bangladesh all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance and to afford him/her every assistance and protection of which he/she may stand in need.
- By order of the President of the People's Republic of Bangladesh
Passport holder identity
Information about the passport holder are spread across seven or more pages in the contemporary Bangladesh passport. The field names (e.g. name) are written in Bengali (Bangla) and English, with the field values is written in English only. No information regarding gender or faith are required.
The first page contains the President's declaration in Bengali and English, and states that the passport is valid for all the countries in the world except Israel.
The second page is the main data page. It contains all information pre-printed on a thin plastic paper. The information printed are:
- Photo of bearer (বাহক এর ছবি)
- Passport type (শ্রেণী)
- Country code (দেশ কোড)
- Passport No. (পাসপোর্ট নং)
- Surname (বংশগত নাম)
- Given Name (প্রদত্ত নাম)
- Nationality (জাতীয়তা)
- Personal No. (National Identification Number or the Birth Certificate Number) (ব্যক্তিগত নং)
- Date of Birth (জন্ম তারিখ)
- Previous Passport No. (পূর্ববর্তী পাসপোর্ট নং)
- Sex (লিঙ্গ)
- Place of Birth (জন্মস্থান)
- Date of Issue (প্রদানের তারিখ)
- Issuing Authority (প্রদানকারী কর্তৃপক্ষ)
- Date of Expiry (মেয়াদোত্তীর্ণের তারিখ)
- Holder's Signature (স্বাক্ষর)
The third page contains eight instructions for the passport holder in Bengali only, with a statement in English reading:
- If lost abroad the founder of this passport is requested to deposit it to the nearest Bangladesh Mission/Consulate.
It also contains the passport number printed on the page.
The fourth page contains further information of the bearer:
- Name (নাম)
- Father's Name (পিতার নাম)
- Mother's Name (মাতার নাম)
- Spouse's Name (স্বামী বা স্ত্রী এর নাম)
- Permanent Address (স্থায়ী ঠিকানা)
- Emergency Contact (জরুরী যোগাযোগ)
- Name (নাম)
- Relationship (সম্পর্ক)
- Address (ঠিকানা)
- Telephone No. (টেলিফোন নং)
All information is printed using a dot matrix printer and is in English only. It is then signed by the appropriate officer of the issuing authority.
- Department of Immigration & Passports of Bangladesh - Official site
- BANGLADESH MACHINE READABLE PASSPORT ONLINE APPLICATION WEBSITE
- Bangladesh Government Digitized Forms
- Bangladesh Pick Passport Partners Security Documents World, March 22, 2010
- Bangladesh working to meet deadline of machine-readable passports Asia Pulse News, February 2, 2010
- New passport offices, visa cells to issue MRPs, MRVs The Daily Independent, March 18, 2010
- Rahman, M (July 25, 2012). The Daily Star http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=243436. Retrieved 8 August 2012. Missing or empty
- Urmee, Farhana (17 June 2011). "Your Passport to the World". Star Weekend Magazine. Archived from the original on 23 June 2011. Retrieved 6 July 2011.