Bangtan Boys at Seoul Plaza, Jung-gu, Seoul, in October 2013.
From left to right: V, Suga, Jin, Jung Kook, Rap Monster, Jimin, J-Hope
|Also known as||BTS
Bulletproof Boy Scouts
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Genres||K-pop, hip hop, R&B, dance|
|Labels||Big Hit Entertainment (Korean)
Pony Canyon (Japan)
|Website||Korean Official website
Japanese Official website
|Revised Romanization||Bangtan Sonyeondan|
BTS (Korean: 방탄소년단, RR: Bangtan Sonyeondan, Translation: Bulletproof Boy Scouts, also known as Bangtan Boys) is a South Korean seven-member hip-hop boy group formed by Big Hit Entertainment, a company who also manages the artists GLAM and 2AM. They debuted on June 13, 2013 with their first title song "No More Dream" followed by "We Are Bulletproof Pt.2". They have won the title of "New Artist of the Year" at several music award functions including the 2013 MelOn Music Awards and Golden Disk Awards, 2014 Seoul Music Awards and Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards with multiple other nominations at other award ceremonies. They have also had their own variety show called Rookie King: Channel Bangtan (신인왕: 채널 방탄), which aired on the SBS MTV channel for a total of eight episodes.
- 1 History
- 2 Members
- 3 Discography
- 4 Publications
- 5 Concerts/Tours
- 6 Filmography
- 7 Fandom
- 8 Awards and nominations
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Producer Bang Si Hyuk held a hip-hop audition called HIT IT. The audition searched for members to join a hip-hop crew that Bang Si Hyuk was planning on debuting in 2011. Due to members leaving the group lineup, the debut was postponed. Rap Monster remains as the only member of the original group line-up.
J-Hope appeared on several music programs due to his feature in 2AM member Jo Kwon's single, "Animal", credited as Jung Hoseok before his debut. The rest of the members, excluding Rap Monster and Jimin, also appeared in Jo Kwon's "I'm Da One" music video. The group released two cover songs before their debut. Three members, Jin, Rap Monster and Suga, produced and released a cover track of Kendrick Lamar's "Swimming Pools (Drank)", and titled it "School of Tears," a track delved into the workings of modern society, especially that of the school system, and its backward ways. Three other members, J-Hope, Jung Kook and Jimin, produced "Graduation Song", a cover track of Wiz Khalifa's "Young, Wild, & Free". Despite being part of the group since 2011, member V was kept a secret until the initial release of their debut teasers for "No More Dream".
2013: 2 Cool 4 Skool, O!RUL8,2?
The first teaser was released on May 26. The concept is driven by a hip-hop beat accompanied by Rap Monster's voice that plays as the names of the seven members, album lyrics and song titles flash by. Following this, V's first image teaser was released on June 2, 2013, followed by members Jin, Jimin, and Jung Kook in the second image teasers on June 3, 2013, and members J-Hope, Suga, and Rap Monster in the last set of image teasers released on June 6, 2013.
On June 6, Bangtan Boys released a tracklist for their debut single album, 2 Cool 4 Skool Their first official album music video with the title "No More Dream" was released on June 12, 2013 through Big Hit Entertainment's official YouTube channel. They debuted on Mnet's M! Countdown on June 13, 2013. On July 16, 2013 another single from their debut EP, "We are Bulletproof Pt.2", was released.
The first teaser for O!RUL8,2? was released on August 26. It featured the leader, Rap Monster, rapping while images related to BTS and their style of music floated past, before the items begin to break an invisible sheet of glass. At the ending of the teaser, the title of the comeback, written in red, is contrasted against a white background, and the date of their comeback featured underneath; 2013.09.11. Teaser pictures for their comeback were released on August 29 and featured the boys dressed in white, with stunning white backgrounds. On September 11, 2013 they released a music video for their next title track "N.O". Promotions for their album continued through performances on various music shows until November 2013, ending with performances for their songs "Paldogangsan" and "Attack of Bangtan".
2014: Skool Luv Affair, Japanese activities, Dark & Wild, 1st Solo Concert
On January 14, 2014, Big Hit Entertainment announced that the group would have their comeback with their new mini album Skool Luv Affair, due for release on February 12, 2014. They revealed more about the album to media outlets that "Having discussed their dreams and happiness with their songs released last year, the boys will now reflect teens' idea of love this time... The members directly participated in the production of the songs in this album, abundantly bringing out the emotions of teens."  Additionally, after a week of the announcement, a comeback countdown was released on their official webpage, accompanied by a snippet of their latest tracks.
After multiple teasers, on February 11, 2014, the group held a showcase for their second mini album Skool Luv Affair at the Lotte Card Arts Centre in Seoul. For the first time in front of their A.R.M.Y fanbase, they performed some highly anticipated songs from their upcoming new album such as "Jump", "Just One Day", and "Boy In Luv". In the interview section during showcase, they also revealed some stories behind the album making. As said before, the members directly participated in song production. Suga, Rap Monster and J-Hope in particular played a large contribution in both music production and lyrics. They worked alongside the producer "Hitman" Bang, as well as Pdogg, Supreme Boi, Slow Rabbit, and OWO. Suga also revealed that he actually began producing the lyrics and melody for "Jump" and "Tomorrow" when he was a trainee. Rap Monster would also comment that the album was completed in the middle of their year-end activities, despite an extremely tight schedule consisting of various promotional activity and award function rehearsals and performances.
Not long after the showcase was held, BTS released the highly anticipated music video for their comeback track "Boy in Luv" on Big Hit Entertainment's YouTube channel. The music video features the members as school students. Dressed in dark school uniforms, the seven members show strong and sharp choreography to complement the hip-hop/rock themed song. BTS’ second mini album “Skool Luv Affair” was released on February 12, and consists of 10 tracks. The boys then started promotions on music shows soon after. Shortly after, BTS released the music video for "Just One Day", another track from their Skool Luv Affair album.
In mid-February, it was disclosed that the band would appear in their own version of a popular Japanese simulation game known as Kstars Wonderland. The project not only furthered their popularity among fans in the country, but also made them the second artist to participate in it; the first being fellow South Korean boy group, Infinite.
In early March, Big Hit Entertainment announced that BTS was scheduled to make their official Japanese debut. The album was officially released on June 4, with their first official single being a Japanese version of their general debut song, "No More Dream". On July 14, 2014, they showcased their first own American concert, "BTS: Show & Prove," where they performed what they had learned in LA and older songs. It was broadcast on their reality show called, BTS American Hustle Life, starting on July 24, 2014.
On July 24 Big Hit Entertainment announced via BTS Official Facebook page that BTS was scheduled to release their first album titled Dark & Wild on August 20. Their first teaser pictures were released on August 8 followed by on the 12th with their first teaser. BTS had their showcase August 19 at Blue Square Samsung Card Hall in Seoul. They officially kicked their comeback with "Danger" on KBS's Music Bank. BTS will have a webtoon titled 'We On'. 'We On' is a collaboration webtoon from Jaedam Media, CJ E&M, and Big Hit Entertainment, written and drawn by Lee Soon Gi and Park Jong Sung.
On August 28, Big Hit Entertainment announced that BTS will have their first solo concert, BTS 2014 LIVE TRILOGY: EPISODE Ⅱ. THE RED BULLET which will be held at AX-Korea for two days (October 18 and 19). But because of high demands from the fans and the sold-out concerts for both days, Big Hit Entertainment also announced that they'll add an extra day (October 17).
|Stage name||Birth name||Date of Birth|
|Jin||진||Kim Seokjin||김석진||December 4, 1992|
|Suga||슈가||Min Yoongi||민윤기||March 9, 1993|
|J-Hope||제이홉||Jung Hoseok||정호석||February 18, 1994|
|Rap Monster||랩몬스터||Kim Namjoon||김남준||September 12, 1994|
|Jimin||지민||Park Jimin||박지민||October 13, 1995|
|V||뷔||Kim Taehyung||김태형||December 30, 1995|
|Jungkook||정국||Jeon Jungkook||전정국||September 1, 1997|
|2014||NOW BTS in Thailand 
|April 9, 2014||Photobook (250 pages) + DVD, Postcard, Poster|
|2014||BTS 1st Anniversary BTS 2014 Summer Package||July 17, 2014||Official Slogan, Photobook, Pin Button Set, Photocard|
|2014||Ceci x BTS Special Limited Package||September 23, 2014||Photobook (26 pages), Bracelet (Black or White), Photocard|
|2014||BTS 2015 SEASON'S GREETINGS||December 3, 2014||BTS Packaging: 2015 Calendar, 2015 Scheduler, Making DVD, Poster Calendar, Sticker, Happy New Year Card|
- BTS Showcase Berlin - 1st 'Fanmeeting' in Europe <RWeL8?>: July 27, 2014 - Huxleys Neue Welt, Berlin, Germany
- BTS Showcase Stockholm - 1st 'Fanmeeting' in Europe <RWeL8?>: July 29, 2014 - Fryshuset, Stockholm, Sweden
- BTS Showcase São Paulo - 1st 'Fanmeeting' in South America <RWeL8?>: August 1, 2014 - Via Marqués, Sao Paulo, Brazil
BTS 2014 LIVE TRILOGY EPISODE II. THE RED BULLET
- BTS 2014 LIVE TRILOGY EPISODE II. THE RED BULLET: October 17–19, 2014 - AX-Korea, Seoul, South Korea
- BTS 2014 LIVE TRILOGY EPISODE II. THE RED BULLET: October 13–14, 2014 - Kokusai Hall, Kobe, Japan
- BTS 2014 LIVE TRILOGY EPISODE II. THE RED BULLET: October 16, 2014 - Tokyo International Forum Hall A, Tokyo, Japan
- BTS 2014 LIVE TRILOGY EPISODE II. THE RED BULLET: December 7, 2014 - Mall of Asia Arena, Manila, Philippines
- BTS 2014 LIVE TRILOGY EPISODE II. THE RED BULLET: December 13, 2014 - Star Theatre, Singapore, Singapore
- BTS 2014 LIVE TRILOGY EPISODE II. THE RED BULLET: December 20, 2014 - Chaengwattana Hall, Bangkok, Thailand
1st JAPAN TOUR 2015 (WAKE UP)
- 1st JAPAN TOUR 2015 (WAKE UP): February 10-11, 2015 - Makuhari Messe, Tokyo, Japan
- 1st JAPAN TOUR 2015 (WAKE UP): February 13-14, 2015 - Festival Hall, Osaka, Japan
- 1st JAPAN TOUR 2015 (WAKE UP): February 17, 2015 - Zepp Nagoya, Nagoya, Japan
- 1st JAPAN TOUR 2015 (WAKE UP): February 19, 2015 - Zepp Fukuoka, Fukuoka, Japan
Global visit through music shows
- Performer of Mnet KCON 2014: August 9-10, 2014 - Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena, Los Angeles, USA
- Performer of KBS Music Bank World Tour in Mexico: October 31, 2014 - Mexico City Arena, Mexico City, Mexico
- Performer of Best of Best Concert in Jakarta: January 10, 2015 - Lapangan D Senayan, Jakarta, Indonesia
|2013||SBS MTV||Rookie King: Channel Bangtan||All||Regulars||8 Episodes|
|2014||YinYueTai||BTS China Job||All||Regulars||3 episode documentary|
|2014||MBC Every1||Weekly Idol||All||Guests||Episode 144|
|2014||Mnet||Beatles Code 3D||All||Guests||with Park Ji-yoon|
|2014||Mnet||American Hustle Life||All||Regulars||8 Episodes|
|2014||Mnet America||GO! BTS||All||Regulars||The whole filming was held in L.A|
|2014||KBS||A Song for You Season 3||All||Guest||Episode 12|
- Their official fanclub is named A.R.M.Y : Adorable Representative M.C for Youth.
Awards and nominations
- "BTS (Bangtan Boys) release their debut MV for "No More Dream" + '2 Cool 4 Skool' album". allkpop. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "BTS (Bangtan Boys) release MV for 'We Are Bulletproof Pt. 2". allkpop. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "Bangtan Boys aka BTS' powerful debut trailer is "2 cool for skool"". Allkpop. Retrieved May 26, 2013.
- "Bangtan Boys releases image teaser for member 'V'". Allkpop. Retrieved June 2, 2013.
- "Bangtan Boys release image teasers for Jung Kook, Jimin, and Jin". Allkpop. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- "Bangtan Boys release photos for J-hope, Suga, and Rap Monster". Allkpop. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- "Bangtan Boys aka BTS come out with '2COOL 4SKOOL' track list". Allkpop. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- "BTS Turn into School Boys for "Boys in Luv" MV". Soompi. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- "BTS Turn into School Boys for 'Boy in Luv' MV". Soompi. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- BTS releases 'Just One Day' music video!
- "K-Pop stars Girls' Generation, Bangtan Boys headline KCON 2014". LA Times. May 22, 2014. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "BTS Profile". BTS Official Website. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "???, ??? 'NOW BTS in Thailand' 5? ?? ??!" (in Korean). hankyung.com. 2009-07-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bangtan Boys.|