Bank of North Dakota
The Bank of North Dakota (BND) is a state-owned and -run financial institution based in Bismarck, North Dakota. Under state law the bank is the State of North Dakota doing business as the Bank of North Dakota.
The state and state agencies are required to place their funds in the bank, local governments are not required to do so. The Bank of North Dakota was established by legislative action in 1919 to promote agriculture, commerce and industry in North Dakota. Other entities may also open accounts at the Bank; however, BND offers fewer retail services than other institutions, and has only one office, limiting its competitiveness in consumer banking.
Instead, BND has taken a role more akin to a central bank, and has many functions, such as check clearing, that might be expected from a branch office of the Federal Reserve. The bank does have an account with the Federal Reserve Bank, but deposits are not insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, instead being guaranteed by the general fund of the state of North Dakota itself and the taxpayers of the state.
Though initially conceived by populists in the Non-Partisan League as a credit union-style institution to free the farmers of the state from predatory lenders, the bank's functions were largely neutered by the time of its inception by the business-backed Independent Voters Association. The recall of NPL Governor Lynn Frazier effectively ended the initial plan, with BND taking a more conservative central banking role in state finance. The current president and CEO is Eric Hardmeyer, however the bank is managed by the North Dakota Industrial Commission, which is composed of the Governor, Attorney General, and the Agriculture Commissioner (formerly the Agriculture and Labor Commissioner) of North Dakota.
|2||J. R. Waters||1920–1921|
- The State of North Dakota, d/b/a Bank of North Dakota v. Merchants National Bank and Trust Company; Red River National Bank and Trust Company; Jamestown National Bank; Union National Bank; Wahpeton National Bank, 634 F.2d 368 (8th Cir. Aug. 6, 1980).
- "Bank of North Dakota FAQ" (PDF). Bank of North Dakota. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Bank of North Dakota website
- Student Loans of North Dakota website
- Mother Jones - How the Nation’s Only State-Owned Bank Became the Envy of Wall Street
- Economy prompts fresh look at ND's socialist bank, By Dale Wetzel, Associated Press, 2/16/10.]
- North Dakota Industrial Commission
- Bank of North Dakota Documentary produced by Prairie Public Television