Bankstown Bites Food Festival
Started in 2005 by the Bankstown City Council, the event is held annually in July and includes cooking demonstrations, live performances, tours of local food outlets, activities for the kids and food stalls. An estimated 10,000 people attend each year.
Local and celebrity chefs do cooking demonstrations. Chefs such as Miguel Maestre, Darren Simpson, Ed Halmagyi and Iain Hewitson have all been a part of the event. Local chefs including Antonios Chayna, from Platform 1, and Robert Green, Bel Cibo, have also been a part of Bites to promote local cuisine. Both local and celebrity chefs contribute to the annual Bankstown Bites Food Festival Recipe Book.
Discovery Food Tours take place during the festival, which are themed tours. Themes include Asian Explorer, European Delights, Aboriginal bush tucker food and Treats from the Middle East. The range of food at the festival includes Lebanese pizza, Indian sweets, African staples, Vietnamese pho, Balkan sausages, Greek cakes, Filipino groceries, Chinese teas and halal butchers.
The festival also has activities like cooking classes, sustainability displays and food craft, rides and puppet shows for kids. The festival also featured art exhibitions, a poetry slam performance and fruit hat and sculpture making. The Bankstown Talent Advancement Program has local performers at the festival.
- 2014 - Fast Ed (Ed Halmagyi)
- 2013 – Marion Grasby
- 2012 – Justine Schofield
- 2011 – Darren Simpson
- 2010 – Miguel Maestre
- 2009 – Fast Ed (Ed Halmagyi)
- 2008 – Fast Ed (Ed Halmagyi)
- 2007 – Iain Hewitson
- 2006 – Vince Sorrenti
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation: Be part of Simon Marnie's 'preview' Bankstown Bites Walking Tour. 19 June 2013, Accessed 17 October 2013
- Parliament of New South Wales: The Hon. Helen Westwood, 5.26 p.m.: Bankstown Bites Festival, 10 September 2009, Accessed 17 October 2013
- "Delightful treats". Canterbury-Bankstown Express. 5 December 2011.
- "Page 1". Bankstown Canterbury Torch. 4 August 2010.
- Fast Ed: We had a great time at the Bankstown Bites festival, Accessed 17 October 2013
- Food Herald: Bankstown Bites Food Festival, 16 July 2007, Accessed 20 October 2013
- The Sydney Morning Herald: Best taste tests in the west 29 July 2009, Accessed 17 October 2013
- The Daily Telegraph: Book your favourite food tour for Bankstown Bites, Accessed 20 October 2013
- The Daily Telegraph: Bankstown Bites 2013 food festival delivers plenty of top treats 8 July 2013, Accessed 17 October 2013
- "Food, Glorious Food". Canterbury-Bankstown Express. 2 August 2011.
- bankstown.nsw.gov.au: Marion Grasby, Accessed 17 October 2013
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation, June Cowle (Producer, Weekends), Chef's Challenge – Justine Schofield 14 July 2012, Accessed 20 October 2013