Neighbourhood of Bankview, with Rocky Mountains in the background
|• Mayor||Naheed Nenshi|
|• Administrative body||Calgary City Council|
|• Councillor||Evan Woolley|
|Elevation||1,075 m (3,527 ft)|
|• Average Income||$32,474|
|Time zone||MST (UTC−7)|
|Area code(s)||+1-403, +1-587|
|Website||Bankview Community Association|
The neighbourhood is bounded by 17th Avenue SW on the north, 26th Avenue SW on the south, 14th Street SW on the east and 19th Street SW on the west. It is a residential neighbourhood located south-west of the high density Beltline district of the inner city.
William Nimmons purchased the lands of the present day Bankview neighbourhood from the Hudson's Bay Company in 1882, for ranching and farming. He established the 3-D-Bar Ranch on these lands, and later a sandstone quarry and a theater (the Mount Royal Theatre). The Nimmons residence, built in 1884, is now a heritage building, and still stands in the north-east corner of Bankview.
By 1902, during a housing shortage due to 1900's economic boom, Nimmons divided the land, and begun selling plots to newly arrived settlers. In 1908, the remainder of the land was bought by the City of Calgary, and was divided in the traditional grid system.
Bankview was established as a neighbourhood in 1908. The district saw a major redesign in 1950, allowing for higher density apartment buildings and the community now has an area redevelopment plan in place.
Residents in this community had a median household income of $32,474 in 2000, and there were 31.4% low income residents living in the neighbourhood. As of 2000, 18.4% of the residents were immigrants. A proportion of 85.7% of the buildings were condominiums or apartments, and 80% of the housing was used for renting.
The neighbourhood is represented in the Calgary City Council by the Ward 8 councillor, on a provincial level by Calgary Currie MLA Dave Taylor, and at federal level by Calgary Centre MP Lee Richardson.
The Community Association operates a tennis court and maintains several playgrounds and small city parks throughout the neighbourhood.
- "Calgary Elections". City of Calgary. October 21, 2013. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- City of Calgary (2006). "Bankview Community Statistics". Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- Calgary Public Library (2000). "Nimmons, William". Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- Federation of Calgary Communities. "Community of Bankview". Retrieved 2007-01-21.
- City of Calgary Planning (2005). "Bankview Area Redevelopment Plan". Retrieved 2007-05-09.[dead link]
- "2012 Civic Census Results". City of Calgary. 2012. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- "Community Boundaries" (Esri shapefile). City of Calgary. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- City of Calgary (2004). "Ward 8 Profile". Retrieved 2007-05-09.
|Richmond||South Calgary||Mount Royal|