Coordinates: Banstead Downs is a Site of Special Scientific Interest in Surrey, England (bordering Greater London). It covers 430 acres (1.7 km2). To the west is the A217 and to east is the B2218. The town to the north is Sutton; whilst Banstead lies to the south. It lies at about 125 metres above sea level and is bisected by a railway line.
The Downs is one of four green areas in the area, which are overall referred to as Banstead Commons. The other areas are Burgh Heath (87 acres), Banstead Heath (760 acres) and Park Downs (74 acres). These areas were the focus of a protracted legal battle in the 19th century.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Banstead Downs.|
- Walk London with audio clip
- Noticeboard on Banstead Downs
- "Map of Banstead Downs SSSI". DEFRA.
- "Banstead Downs SSSI citation". Natural England.
- "SSSI Units for Banstead Downs". Natural England.
- Banstead Commons Conservators
|This Surrey location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|