The bantamweight division in mixed martial arts can refer to a number of different weight classes:
- The King of the Cage bantamweight class with upper limit at 145 lb (65.8 kg)
- The UFC's bantamweight division with upper limit at 135 lb (61.2 kg)
- The Shooto bantamweight division, which suits competitors below 56 kg (123.5 lb)
- The Dream (defunct) bantamweight division, which limited competitors to 61 kg (134.5 lb)
Ambiguity and clarification
For the sake of uniformity, many American mixed martial arts websites refer to competitors between 126 and 135 lb (57 and 61 kg) as bantamweights, This encompasses both the Shooto Featherweight division (132 lb / 60 kg) and the King of the Cage Flyweight division (135 lb / 61 kg). The UFC uses the Nevada definition of "bantamweight".
Prior to UFC 31, 150-pound (68 kg) fighters were known as bantamweights in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. After which, the weight limit was raised to 155 lb (70 kg), and the division became reinstated as the lightweight class.
This table is not always up to date. Last updated on February 2, 2014.
|UFC||May 24, 2014||T.J. Dillashaw||10-2 (4KO 3SUB)||0|
|Bellator MMA||April 13, 2012||Eduardo Dantas||15-3 (4KO 5SUB)||1|
|WSOF||March 29, 2014||Marlon Moraes||13-4-1(5KO 3SUB)||0|
|UFC||November 8, 2012||Ronda Rousey||10-0 (2KO 8SUB)||4|
- List of current MMA Bantamweight champions
- List of UFC Bantamweight Champions
- List of WEC Bantamweight Champions (defunct)
- List of Pancrase Bantamweight Champions
- "Fighters: Rankings ...". KingoftheCage.com. Archived from the original on 16 February 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-20.
- Loiseleur, Tony (2011-04-20). "‘Dream: Fight For Japan’ Bantamweight Tournament Bracket Set". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- "Nevada Revised Statutes: CHAPTER 467 - UNARMED COMBAT". http://www.leg.state.nv.us. Archived from the original on 16 February 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-20.
- "UNIFIED RULES OF MMA". ABCBoxing.com. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
|This sports-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|