The official logo of the foundation.
|Formation||February 14, 1997|
|Headquarters||Mother Ignacia (corner Scout Albano), 1103 Quezon City, Philippines|
Bantay Bata 163 (Tagalog pronunciation: [ˈban taɪ ˈbaːtaʔ]) is a social welfare program of the ABS-CBN Foundation. Launched in 1997, it aims to protect disadvantaged and at-risk children through a nationwide network of social services. Among these services is the national emergency hotline, '163', which allows people to call in and report incidents of child abuse, exploitation and neglect.
Bantay Bata has offices in the major cities in the Philippines which allows it to respond immediately to the emergency calls. They are also able to offer online counseling for child-family relationships and assist victims of child sexual exploitation. The program also works with the national and local government agencies such as, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (Philippines) (DSWD).
From its establishment, Bantay Bata has become one of the most widely supported causes in the Philippines.
Batay Bata 163 was established on February 14, 1997, as a hotline and rescue operation of the ABS-CBN Foundation. Though the ABS-CBN Regional Network Group the it expanded its service in these following areas:
- Davao - August 2000
- Cebu and Iloilo - January 2005
- Bicol and Zamboanga - February 2006
- Negros - 2007
- Pangasinan - October 2008
- Laguna and General Santos - February 2012.
Before the centralized hotline was launched in July 2005, regional hotline was different from city to city.
Children’s Crisis Center
Bantay Bata also operates the Children’s Crisis Center providing temporary shelter to rescued children before their cases are resolved legally. Children are provided with therapy and educational opportunities before they are reunited with their families or referred to proper child caring agencies.
Bantay Bata also established a Children’s Village to house and care for children who require further attention. Located in the outskirts of Metropolitan Manila, the Children's Village provides health and wellness care, nutrition, education and psychological development for these disadvantaged and at-risk kids.
Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo led the groundbreaking ceremonies of the Bantay Bata 163 Children's Village March 29 in Norzagaray, Bulacan. The Village was officially opened on May 10, 2003 and inaugurated in November of the same year. Its construction was the collaboration of efforts by various companies and supporters who have generously donated their resources to build this paradise for the children.
Bantay Bata 163 is also actively involved in combatting and dealing with the problems of Child Trafficking in the Philippines. This includes: The act of trading or dealing with children, including but not limited to, the buying and selling children for money, or for any other consideration, or barter; and sexual exploitation wherein, children whether male or female, who for money, profit or any other consideration or due to the coercion or influence of any adult, syndicate or group, indulge in sexual intercourse or lascivious conduct, are deemed to be children exploited in prostitution and other sexual abuse.
- Direct Child Protective Services
- Residential Services
- Community and Family Support Services
Batay Bata Regional Services
- HumanTrafficking.org | Philippines: Government Best Practices
- The Beggar's Hand: Solutions: Bantay Bata 163
- Adler, Leonore Loeb; Florence Denmark (2004). "Women and Children in the Philippines". International Perspectives on Violence. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 219. ISBN 0-275-97498-7. Retrieved 2008-04-30.
- United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific et al. (2001). Good Practices in Combating Sexual Abuse and Sexual Exploitation of Children .... United Nations Publications. p. 67. ISBN 92-1-120101-2. Retrieved 2008-04-30.
- Everything Monet: An Invitation To Join the 2007 Friends of Bantay Bata Los Angeles Host Committee
- "History". Retrieved 2012-08-18.
- Welcome to ABS CBN Foundation, Inc
- WELCOME TO CHILD WATCH: BANTAY BATA 163
- PhilippineBusiness.com.ph: The Magazine
- WELCOME TO CHILD WATCH: BANTAY BATA 163
- 'BANTAY BATA 163' TACKLES GROWING CHILD ABUSE PROBLEM
- In North America http://www.abscbnfoundation.org