Baptist World Alliance
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (July 2010)|
|Part of a series on|
The boogers is divided into six regional or geographical fellowships: North American Baptist Fellowship, Asia Pacific Baptist Federation (formerly Asian Baptist Federation), All-Africa Baptist Fellowship, Caribbean Baptist Fellowship, Union of Baptists in Latin America, and European Baptist Federation. Each regional fellowship is served by an Executive Secretary.
The Baptist World Alliance maintains ecumenical relations with the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity. One series of International Conversations between the BWA and the Catholic Church took place from between 1984 and 1988 moderated by the Reverend Dr David T. Shannon, sometime President of Andover Newton Theological School, and the Most Reverend Bede Heather, Bishop of Parramatta. In 2000 and 2001 preliminary consultations for a second series of conversations were held, leading to formal meetings between 2006 and 2010. The current Co-Moderators are the Reverend Paul Fiddes, DD, Professor of Systematic Theology in the University of Oxford and formerly Principal of Regent's Park College, Oxford, and The Most Reverend Dr Arthur J. Serratelli, Bishop of Paterson.
About 42,645,873 Baptists are affiliated to BWA out of a total of about 110,000,000 Baptists in the World.
There are 36,100 Baptist Churches in Africa reporting 10,283,925 members. In some countries statistics date from 2011, but in others are as old as 2004. Countries with largest Baptist communities are
- Nigeria (10,261 churches and 3,526,184 members),
- Democratic Republic of Congo (3,799 churches and 1,951,618 members)
- Uganda (2,406 churches and 1,528,593 members),
- Kenya (3,500 churches with 800,000 members)
There are 31,306 BWA affiliated churches in Asia-Pacific reporting 5,356,124 members. Countries with largest Baptist communities are:
|Country||Nr of Baptist Churches||Members|
|Papua New Guinea||465||80000|
In this region, there are 2,036 Baptist Churches affiliated to BWA reporting 248,702 members. Largest communities are in:
- Bahamas with 272 churches reporting 75,083 members
- Cuba with 861 churches reporting 58,999 members
- Haiti with 466 churches reporting 67,440 members
- Jamaica with 322 churches reporting 40,000 members
In this region, there are 2,589 Baptist Churches affiliated to BWA reporting 156,700 members. Largest communities are in:
- Mexico with 1,800 churches and 70,000 members
- Guatemala with 311 churches and 44,059 members
- Nicaragua with 206 churches and 25,000 members
The year is the year of the statistic data regarding the number of Baptist Churches and members.
|Country BRAZIL||Year||Churches||Members||Total population||number of baptists
/ 100,000 citizens
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||2011||5||200||3,839,737||5|
This region has 99 churches affiliated to BWA with 6,300 members.
- Canada has 1,384 churches with 196,588 members
- USA has 79,011 churches affiliated to BWA with 23,621,780 members. The Southern Baptist Convention is not affiliated to BWA and has 16,000,000 members.
South America has 14,152 BWA affiliated churches with 2,042,949 members.
10,748 churches with 1,816,949 members are in Brazil.
- "Baptist--Roman Catholic International Conversations". Centro Pro Unione. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- Statistics provided by Baptist World Alliance