Barði Jóhannsson (born 10 September 1975) is an Icelandic rock musician, film composer, writer, TV show host (of surrealist Icelandic TV show Konfekt), author, clothing designer, short film director and more. He is mostly known for his work with Bang Gang (who have released three albums to date, and are working on a fourth), Lady & Bird, a side project alongside French artist Keren Ann and a new project with Jean-Benoît Dunckel (Air, Tomorrow's World) called Starwalker.
Aside from these primary musical outlets, Barði has been involved in a vast array of other audio-visual projects, most significantly he has written music for commercials (Emporio Armani, Yves Rocher, Citroën) and for the National Theater of Iceland & Centre Dramatique d'Orleans (Museum of the Sea by Marie Darrieussecq); he has appeared at the Festival Aix En Provence; and he co-produced and co-directed short films.
Barði has also been active in terms of writing scores for movies and documentaries, such as Haxan (performed by the Bulgarian symphony orchestra) and Óskar Jónasson’s Reykjavik Rotterdam (2009), which won Best Original Film Score at the Icelandic Edda Film awards for the best original film score and was nominated for the Scandinavian Film Music Awards at Giff Film Festival (2010). He wrote the score for the film Would You Rather with Daniel Hunt (Ladytron) directed by David Guy Levy and the score for the film De toutes nos forces directed by Nils Tavernier.
Barði has also co-written a fake documentary about himself called Who Is Barði?.
Barði started playing music at a young age, he studied the piano and guitar and had a track featured on a children's album. He met up with singer and musician Esther Talia Casey in his teens. She later became lead singer on the debut album of his most notorious band, Bang Gang. Barði and his friend Henrik Baldvin Björnsson started the band Bang Gang, initially making surf rock music. Two years later Barði took the name for his own project.
Bang Gang is a musical project of Barði Jóhannsson formed in 1996.
Lady & Bird
Lady & Bird is a collaboration between Keren Ann Zeidel and Barði Jóhannsson. They have released two albums and played special concerts with the Icelandic Symphony Orchestra in Haskolabio (Reykjavík), Orchestre Lamoureux in Salle Pleyel (Paris) and a choir and harpist at the American Church in Paris. In 2011 Lady & Bird had a premier of their first opera, Red Waters.
Starwalker is a electro-pop supergroup of the electro-pop icons: Jean-Benoit Dunckel (Air, Tomorrow’s World) and Icelandic composer Bardi Johannsson (Bang Gang, Lady & Bird). The title Starwalker – suitably spatial and curious – is an umbrella term for the duo’s new work together. Included in this blossoming canon is the debut singles ‘Bad Weather’ and ‘Losers Can Win’.
- You (1998, Bang Gang)
- Something Wrong (2003, Bang Gang)
- Lady and Bird (2003, Lady and Bird)
- Häxan (2006, Barði Jóhannsson)
- Ghosts from the Past (2008, Bang Gang)
- La Ballade of Lady & Bird, A project by Keren Ann Zeidel & Barði Jóhannsson (2009)
- "Selected Film & Theater Works Of Bardi Johannsson" (2011, Barði Jóhannsson)
- "W Y R Original Motion Picture Score" (2013, Daniel Hunt & Bardi Johannsson)
- "Sacred Universe EP" (2014, Bardi Johannsson)
- Sleep - Bang Gang (1998)
- Sacred Things - Bang Gang (2000)
- Stop In The Name of Love - Bang Gang (2003)
- Find What You Get - Bang Gang (2003)
- I Know You Sleep - Bang Gang (2008)
- The World Is Gray - Bang Gang (2008)
- Bad Weather - Starwalker (2013)
Feature film soundtracks
- Fíaskó (Fiasco) by Ragnar Bragason (2000)
- Haxan (from 1920), by Benjamin Christiansen (2006) – New score for the silent movie
- Reykjavík-Rotterdam by Óskar Jónasson (2009)
– Winner of the Icelandic Edda Film awards for the best original film score (2009) – Nomination for the Scandinavian Film Music Awards at Giff Film Festival (2010)
- De toutes nos forces by Nils Tavernier (2013)
Music for Documentaries'
- Íslenska Sveitin (The Commander), by Kristinn Hrafnsson and Friðrik Guðmundsson (2004)
- Viets et Morts d’Andy Warhol by Jean Michel Vecchiet. Music by Lady and Bird (2005)
- Africa United by Olaf de Fleur Johannesson (2005)
- Heilabilun/Alzheimer by Lárus Ýmir Óskarsson (2006)
- Ama Dablam Beyond the void by Ingvar Ágúst Þórisson. In collaboration with Eberg (2008)
- Stelpurnar Okkar by Þóra Tómasdóttir (2009)
- The Still Point by Taki Bibelas (2009)
Music for TV series
- Pressa 3 (6 Episodes) by Óskar Jónasson. Score.
- Heimsendir by Ragnar Bragason. Score.
- Pressa 2 (6 Episodes) by Óskar Jónasson. Score.
- Réttur 1 (6 Episodes) by Sævar Guðmundsson. Score.
- Réttur 2 (6 Episodes) by Sævar Guðmundsson. Score.
- Skjár Einn, main theme.
- Silfur Egils, theme.
- Svínasúpan, theme.
- Strákarnir, theme.
- Ríkið by Silja Hauksdóttir, theme and score.
- Mannamál, theme.
- Kóngur um stund, theme and score.
- Fóstbræður, arrangements
- Innlit útlit, theme.
- Pressa (6 Episodes) by Óskar Jónasson. Score in collaboration with Eberg.
Music for plays (as composer)
- Brennuvargarnir/Biederman and the Firebugs. The National Theater of Iceland. Writer: Max Frisch. Director: Kristín Jóhannesdóttir. Music: Barði Jóhannsson (2009)
- Sædýrasafnið – Museum of the Sea. The National Theater of Iceland & Centre Dramatique National Orleans. Writer: Marie Darrieussecq. Director: Arthur Nauzyciel. Music: Barði Jóhannsson (2009)
- Red Waters – An Opera Written by Lady & Bird (2011). Director: Arthur Nauzyciel. Music & Text: Keren Ann Zeidel & Barði Jóhannsson
Producer & Co Writer
- Keren Ann – Not Going Anywhere
Label: EMI Capitol. Co writer and featuring Ending Song. (2003)
- David Grumel. – Lifestyle
Label: Naive. Co Producer, recording and mix of 8 tracks.(2004)
- Keren Ann – Nolita
Label: EMI. Capitol. Co writer: For you and I. (2004)
- Bubbi – Ást
Label: Sena. Producer and recording. (2005)
- Bubbi – Í sex skrefa fjarlægð frá paradís
Label: Sena. Producer and Recording. (2005)
- Keren Ann – Keren Ann
Label EMI Capitol. Co writer: Caspia. (2007)
- Mai – Still Need A Kiss
Label: Nacopajazz/Discograph. Producer of the tracks: Silly and Like In A Film. (2007)
- Anggun – Elevation
Label Sony Music. Co writer: Is it a sign? / Est-ce Un Hasard. (2008)
- Dísa – Dísa
Label: Cod. Producer of the track: Temptation.
- Ourlives – We Lost The Race
Label: Kölski. Producer, recording and mix of 6 tracks.(2009)
- Craig Walker – Siamese
Label: Discograph/Bang. Co writer and Producer.(2009)
- Ólafur Arnalds – And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness.
Label: Erased Tapes. Co mixing and Co producer of 4 tracks. (2010)
- Angela McClusky – You Could Start A Fight In An Empty House
Label: Bernadette. Co writer of the track: End Of My Rope. (2010)
Credits also include Laurence Revey, Védis, Tvihöfði, Merzedes Club, Páll Óskar, Regína Ósk
- Foroya Banki – (Original composition)
- Emporio Armani – (Bang Gang – Inside – from the album Something Wrong)
- Citroen – (Bang Gang – Sleep – from the album You)
- Hollywood Oxygen (Remake of the original Hollywood theme)
- Lancia:Musa – (Bang Gang – Find What You Get – from the album Something Wrong)
- Lanvert Cosmetics – (Bang Gang – Stop in the name of love – from the album Something Wrong)
- Volkswagen Passat – (Noemi Brosset & Barði Jóhannsson new composition)
- Yves Rocher: Inositol vegetal – (Bang Gang – Liar – from the album You)
- Hyundai: I30 (Original composition)
- Sterling Air – (Craig Walker & Barði Jóhannsson – Summertime – from the album Siamese)
- TGV/SNCF: L’arbre (Lady and Bird – Frau und Vogel Livs – New composition with Keren Ann)
- Gaz De France: Dolce Vita – (Bang Gang – It’s Allright – from the album Something Wrong)
Commercials in Iceland: Vörður, BKI Kaffi, Glitnir fjármögnun, Síminn: Meira frelsi, Skyr.is, Umferðarstofa, Vís, Shell, Síminn: Stop the time (performed by Rosa). Atlantsskip, Íslenskt grænmeti, Apple, Flugstöð Leifs Eiríkssonar, Baugur Group, Iceland Express, Stofn, MS ís, Hagkaup, Fréttablaðið (with Eberg), Debenhams.
- Who is Barði? By Ragnar Bragason and Barði Jóhannsson (2003)
- Red Death by Taki Bibelas and Barði Jóhannsson, premiered in Centre Pompidou, Paris (2004)
- Sacred Universe by Jeaneen Lund and Barði Jóhannsson, premiered in Centre Pompidou at ASVOFF, Paris (2013)
- Lady and Bird Recording Diary (2003) – Written by Barði Jóhannsson and Keren Ann Zeidel.
- Maley Maley, Niðurfold (1999) – Written by Henrik B Björnsson and Barði Jóhannsson under a fake name.
- Daily Radio Show, Radio-FM and X-FM for 2 years. (2000)
- Konfekt – TV show (2001) – With Henrik B Björnsson.
- Black Garden. Festival Aix Provance (2005) Music for a string quartet, claviner, and electronica.
- Dressing Ourselves. Triennale in Milan (2005) Clothes design for the exhibition.
- Epal. Designer Shop. (2005) Music for a children choir.
- Dream by Barði og Noemi Brosset for the TV show THE L WORD (2007)