Refaeli in 2011
4 June 1985 |
Hod HaSharon, Israel
|Occupation||Model, actress, businesswoman|
|Height||1.74 m (5 ft 8.5 in)|
|Dress size||6 (US), 36 (EU)|
|Shoe size||9 (US), 40 (EU)|
|Manager||Storm Model Management (London)
ONE Management (New York City)
IMG Models (Paris)
MP Management (Milan)
Bar Refaeli (Hebrew: בר רפאלי; born 4 June 1985) is an Israeli model and occasional actress. She was the cover model of the 2009 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue and was voted #1 on Maxim magazine's Hot 100 list of 2012.
Early life 
Refaeli was born into an secular Jewish family, in Hod HaSharon, Israel. Her parents, Rafael and Tzipi, own a horse ranch. Her parents were born in Israel, and her grandparents came from Italy, Lithuania, and Poland. Her mother was a successful model in the 1970s under her maiden name, Tzipi Levine. Refaeli has three brothers.
Modeling career 
|Refaeli's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover from February 13, 2009|
Refaeli began a modeling career at the age of eight months, appearing in commercials. Refaeli had to wear braces in her early years, interrupting her modeling until age 15, when she returned to modeling. She was featured in campaigns for the fashion brands Castro and Pilpel, also starring in a commercial for Milky. Refaeli won the title "Model of The Year" in an Israeli beauty contest in 2000.
Refaeli has appeared in ELLE (France), Maxim, and GQ (Italy). She debuted in the 2007 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, becoming the first Israeli model to appear in the magazine, posing with rock band Aerosmith. In 2009, Refaeli was the covermodel for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. A photo from the shoot, featuring a bikini-clad Refaeli, was painted on the side of a Boeing 737 in a promotional deal with Southwest Airlines, leading to criticism of Southwest from passengers for using an image they regarded as inappropriately sexual and "offensive to families". In October of the same year, Refaeli was again embroiled in controversy, when Haredi groups criticised a Tel Aviv billboard campaign in which she appeared semi-nude, alleging that it could "poison" the public. The billboards were subsequently removed.
On 5 March 2009, Refaeli received the "World Style Award" presented by the Women's World Awards, for her "natural elegance, sense of style and compassion". In October of the same year, Refaeli co-hosted Fashionable Istanbul's press conference, announcing their October 2009 fashion event, also appearing in its advertising. Refaeli was voted #42 in 2008, #57 in 2010, and #97 in 2011 in the FHM "100 Sexiest Women" list and came in first on Maxim's Hot 100 list of 2012. In April 2012, Shalom Life ranked her Number 4 on its list of the "50 most talented, intelligent, funny, and gorgeous Jewish women in the world".
On February 3, 2013, GoDaddy used Refaeli and NASCAR driver Danica Patrick in one of its two 30-second Super Bowl XLVII commercials. In the ad, Refaeli, representing the "sexy side" of GoDaddy, kisses the actor Jesse Heiman, a former Chuck Buy More Nerd Herd staffer, representing the "smart side" of the service, to make the point "together, they're perfect".
Film and television career 
Refaeli co-starred in the Israeli TV series Pick Up in 2005. In October 2008, she co-hosted the Bravo special program Tommy Hilfiger Presents Ironic Iconic America, based on the book Ironic Iconic America written by George Lois. She returned as a program host in 2009, this time for MTV's brief revival of House of Style.
On 18 January 2011, Refaeli attended the premiere of the English-language movie Session in Israel in which she starred. Directed by Israeli Haim Bouzaglo, the film is a psychological thriller that tells the story of a manipulative psychiatrist who becomes obsessed with a new young patient.
Business venture 
In 2011 Refaeli and Dudi Balsar, an attorney and former male model, set up an E-commerce company called Under.me to sell designer underwear. By November 2011, the company had raised $1 million in venture capital funds.
Personal life 
Previously linked to Baywatch actor David Charvet and Uri El-Natan, Refaeli began a relationship with American actor Leonardo DiCaprio in November 2005 after meeting him at a party in Las Vegas thrown for members of U2. In the course of their trip to Israel in March 2007, the couple met with Israeli president Shimon Peres and visited Refaeli's hometown of Hod HaSharon. The relationship ended in June 2009. Numerous reports, however, indicate that, as of early 2010, the romance may have been rekindled. In May 2011 it was reported that the couple had ended their romantic relationship, although they remain friends.
Her relationship with DiCaprio caused one nationalist Israeli organization to send her a letter, later leaked to the press, in which she was asked, for the sake of "future generations of Jews", not to marry a "non-Jew", a request similar to the one made to Israeli 1998 Miss World winner Linor Abargil, a few years previously.
Refaeli confided to L'Isha magazine that she prefers to keep a lower profile, but that she is out with DiCaprio much of the time. "I am there for him and I am at all the events", she says. "I just don't walk in hand-in-hand with him. I don't see any reason. I don't need to strike poses with him in front of the cameras. No one needs to know how we kiss".
Refaeli volunteers for Project Sunshine, a non-profit organization providing free services and programs for children facing life-threatening illnesses. She has also volunteered for organization Ahava, which has been caring for pets abandoned in Northern Israel during the 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict.
Refaeli and film director Shahar Segal have agreed to do a free campaign under the slogan "One Bag Less" to reduce the use of plastic bags.
Military enlistment 
In 2007 it was reported that Refaeli had married a family acquaintance and divorced him soon after to avoid military service in the Israel Defense Forces, which is mandatory for both men and women over the age of 18. The Israeli Forum for the Promotion of Equal Share in the Burden threatened to boycott the fashion chain Fox if they hired Refaeli, but the two sides reached a compromise in which Refaeli agreed to visit injured IDF soldiers on visits to Israel and encourage enlistment in the army. Refaeli later stated, "I don't regret not enlisting, because it paid off big time. That's just the way it is, celebrities have other needs. I hope my case has influenced the army". In 2009 fellow Israeli model Esti Ginzburg, while speaking in support of enlisting, criticized Refaeli for her avoidance of military service. In 2011 Refaeli was featured on the cover of Italian GQ's war-themed May 2011 issue.
- Top Model. Bar Refaeli. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- "FMD – Profile of fashion model Bar Refaeli". Fashionmodeldirectory.com. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Isn't it better to live in New York? An Israeli Supermodel Speaks
- Anderman, Nirit. "DiCaprio, Refaeli bring paparazzi out in force to Hod Hasharon". Haaretz. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Burstein, Nathan (9 October 2007). "The 'uncomfortable' role model". Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Pop Culture Q&A". Sports Illustrated. 7 March 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Bar Refaeli Model Profile". Retrieved 6 August 2010.
- Supermodel Bar Refaeli – the first international Zionist celebrity
- "SI.com – Bar Refaeli". Sports illustrated. 7 March 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Markazi, Arash (10 February 2009). "For cover girl Bar Refaeli, life is about to change". FanNation. Archived from the original on 13 February 2009. Retrieved 10 February 2009.
- "Southwest Paints Swimsuit Model on Plane". PopSci.com.au. 12 February 2009. Archived from the original on 14 February 2009. Retrieved 12 February 2009.
- "Southwest's Sports Illustrated Plane". Fox News. Retrieved 2 May 2009.
- "Southwest's Sports Illustrated Plane Featuring Bar Refaeli Is Offending Passengers". Fox News. 7 April 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Kanter, Jacob. "Fox removes racy Bar Refaeli billboards". Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Bar Refaeli racy Fox clothing billboard gets barred in Tel Aviv, amid fears of poisoning public". The Daily Telegraph. Australia. 28 October 2009. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Leonardo's girlfriend face of Accessorize". Marie Claire. 27 February 2008. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Bar Refaeli making her Canadian debut with Garnier Fructis Style". CNW. 25 February 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Bar Refaeli to receive Women's World Style Award". Ynetnews. 20 June 1995. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- Istanbul meets the fashion world with Fashionable Istanbul. Istanbulview.com. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- Bar Refaeli at FHM.com, 4 February 2011.
- Hughes, Sarah Anne (22 May 2012). "Bar Refaeli, Naya Rivera and Stephen Colbert make Maxim’s ‘Hot 100’ list". The Washington Post. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- Ashley Baylen (April 12, 2012). "Top 50 Hottest Jewish Women (10–1) – Page2". Shalom Life. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- Thielman, Sam (24 June 2008). "Bravo for Tommy Hilfiger, Radical". Variety. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "House of Style". MTV. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Bar Refaeli Typecast as Sushi Waitress in First Feature Film!". forward.com. 19 January 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Feldman, Batya (24 October 2011). "Bar Refaeli's e-commerce lingerie co Undeez raises $1m". GLOBES. Retrieved 14 November 2011.
- Bar Refaeli's e-commerce lingerie company raises $1 million, Jerusalem Post ,By BATYA FELDMAN/GLOBES10/25/2011 11:10
- "Leo and Bar. What's Going On?". Retrieved 15 August 2008.
- "Israeli Leader Asks Leonardo DiCaprio for Help", People.com. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- Leonardo Dicaprio is a Model Man[dead link]
- "It really is a Happy New Year for Leonardo DiCaprio and Bar Refaeli as the couple rekindle their on/off relationship". Daily Mail (London). 2 January 2010. Archived from the original on 5 January 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2010. "Last year they called a halt to their relationship, apparently, it seemed, for good. But, if these new photographs are anything to go by, Leonardo DiCaprio and Bar Refaeli appear to be back on track."
- "Leonardo DiCaprio, Bar Refaeli getting serious?". The Indian Express (Delhi). 6 January 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2010. "The couple, who has been dating on and off for the past three years, was spotted canoodling together over New Year's weekend in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, which topped off a week-long getaway."
- Miller, Tracy (2 January 2010). "Leonardo DiCaprio and Sports Illustrated model Bar Refaeli hook up again for New Year's". New York Daily News. Archived from the original on 5 January 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2010. "Leo and Bar also enjoyed a "secret" romantic getaway in the Bahamas in late November, according to multiple reports, sparking rumors they'd decided to work it out."
- "Bar Refaeli back on the single market". Fashion Model Directory. 12 May 2011. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- "Nationalist group urges model Bar Refaeli to marry Jewish, dump Leo DiCaprio". Los Angeles Times. 10 March 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Marzel to beauty queen: Don't marry a goy". Ynet News. 20 June 1995. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Bar Refaeli Always There for Leonardo DiCaprio (Just Not on the Red Carpet)". People.com. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- "Gallery". Project Sunshine. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Refaeli comes to aid of animals abandoned during Lebanon war". Jerusalem Post.
- Fay, Greer (17 January 2008). "Market Wise". Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- The Global Provider of EV Networks and Services. Better Place. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- Refaeli, Bar. "Electric vehicles and the transition to sustainable transportation", Better Place blog, 19 August 2010.
- "Dodging IDF paid off big time". Archived from the original on 21 August 2008. Retrieved 15 August 2008.
- "THE STATE: Israel Defense Forces (IDF)", Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 1 April 2008
- "Bar Refaeli: IDF's new 'enlistment officer'". Retrieved 15 August 2008.
- Weiss, Shari (5 May 2011). "Bar Refaeli topless in GQ Italia’s military-themed issue: Israeli model once labeled a draft-dodger". New York Daily News. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- Israeli models Refaeli and Ginzburg at war over IDF
- Israeli supermodels in catwalk spat over draft-dodging
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Bar Refaeli|
- Bar Refaeli's Under.Me brand
- Bar.Refae.li extended profile
- Bar Refaeli at the Fashion Model Directory
- Bar Refaeli at the Internet Movie Database
- Bar Refaeli at AllRovi