Refaeli in 2011
4 June 1985 |
Hod HaSharon, Israel
|Height||1.74 m (5 ft 8.5 in)|
|Dress size||6 (US), 36 (EU)|
|Shoe size||9 (US), 40 (EU)|
|Manager||Storm Model Management (London)
ONE Management (New York City)
IMG Models (Paris)
MP Management (Milan)
She has led campaigns for Garnier, Escada, Piaget SA, Chanel, Desigual, Subaru, Gap, Samsung, Moët & Chandon, Hurley, Marco Bicego, Rampage, Andrew Marc, True Religion, Accessorize, Passionata, Besni, Agua Bendita, Fox, Arrow, Castro and Sears. She has appeared on the covers of magazines such as Elle, Marie Claire, Vogue, Cosmopolitan, GQ, Esquire, Glamour, Maxim, Grazia, and Harper's Bazaar.
She was the cover model of the 2009 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue and was voted #1 on Maxim magazine's Hot 100 list of 2012. As of 2013, she has been the host of the first season of The X Factor Israel.
Refaeli was born in Hod HaSharon, Israel. Her parents, Rafael and Tzipi, own a horse ranch. Her family is Jewish. Her parents were born in Israel (sabras), and her grandparents were Jewish immigrants (from Italy, Lithuania, and Poland). Her mother was a successful model in the 1970s under her maiden name, Tzipi Levine.
|Refaeli's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover from 13 February 2009|
Refaeli began her modeling career at the age of eight months, appearing in commercials. She had to wear braces in her early years, interrupting her modeling until age 15, when she returned to modeling. She was featured in campaigns for the fashion brands Castro and Pilpel, also starring in a commercial for Milky. Refaeli won the title "Model of The Year" in an Israeli beauty pageant in 2000.
She has led campaigns for Garnier, Escada, Desigual, Subaru, Gap, Samsung, Moët & Chandon, Hurley, Marco Bicego, Rampage, Andrew Marc, True Religion, Accessorize, Passionata, Besni, Fox, Agua Bendita, Arrow and Sears. She has appeared on the covers of magazines such as Elle, Marie Claire, Vogue, Cosmopolitan, GQ, Esquire, Glamour, Maxim, Grazia, and Harper's Bazaar.
Refaeli has appeared in ELLE (France), Maxim, and GQ (Italy). She debuted in the 2007 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, becoming the second Israeli model to appear in the magazine (after Michaela Bercu), posing with rock band Aerosmith. In 2009, Refaeli was the covermodel for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. A photo from the shoot, featuring a bikini-clad Refaeli, was painted on the side of a Boeing 737 in a promotional deal with Southwest Airlines, leading to criticism of Southwest from passengers for using an image they regarded as inappropriately sexual and "offensive to families". In October of the same year, Refaeli was again embroiled in controversy, when Haredi groups criticised a Tel Aviv billboard campaign in which she appeared semi-nude, alleging that it could "poison" the public. The billboards were subsequently removed.
On 5 March 2009, Refaeli received the World Style Award presented by the Women's World Awards for her "natural elegance, sense of style and compassion". In October of the same year, Refaeli co-hosted Fashionable Istanbul's press conference, announcing their October 2009 fashion event, also appearing in its advertising. Refaeli was voted #42 in 2008, #57 in 2010, and #97 in 2011 in the FHM "100 Sexiest Women" list and came in first on Maxim's Hot 100 list of 2012. In April 2012, Shalom Life ranked her Number 4 on its list of the "50 most talented, intelligent, funny, and gorgeous Jewish women in the world". Refaeli has been referred to as a supermodel by Maxim Magazine, The Hollywood Reporter, the Dailymail, The Algemeiner, Jpost, The Independent and others.
Film and television career
Refaeli co-starred in the Israeli TV series Pick Up in 2005. In October 2008, she co-hosted the Bravo special program Tommy Hilfiger Presents Ironic Iconic America, based on the book Ironic Iconic America written by George Lois. She returned as a program host in 2009, this time for MTV's brief revival of House of Style.
On 18 January 2011, Refaeli attended the premiere of the English-language movie Session in Israel in which she starred. Directed by Israeli Haim Bouzaglo, the film is a psychological thriller that tells the story of a manipulative psychiatrist who becomes obsessed with a new young patient.
In 2013, she played a starring role in the Israeli crime-caper film Kidon, a comedy in which she stars as a Mossad assassin involved in liquidating a Hamas terrorist in Dubai.
Business and investment career
Refaeli invests in a variety of business ventures in Israel, and has also launched her own. In 2011 Refaeli and Dudi Balsar, an attorney and former male model, set up an E-commerce company called Under.me, to sell designer underwear. As well as its investor, Refaeli runs business development for the venture. By November 2011, the company had raised $1 million in venture capital funds.
In 2013, her startup 'Mika Look', which is an iPad app that allows users to purchase the items that models are wearing, raised $1.2 million in its first financing round.
Additionally, Refaeli is one of the main investors behind MyCheck, which processes payments behind smart phones, and which raised $1.7 million in its first financing round. In its second financing round, it raised $4.2 million.
Refaeli volunteers for Project Sunshine, a non-profit providing free services and programs for children facing life-threatening illnesses.
She led a free campaign under the slogan "One Bag Less" to reduce the use of plastic bags in Israel.
In 2009, she led an unpaid campaign on behalf of the Israel Water Authority, to educate the public about water use and conservation.
On 7 June 2013, Refaeli hosted a beach party in Tel Aviv for participants of the city's gay pride parade. She also posted a photo of herself on social media standing in front of a urinal, with the caption, "Gay, lesbians, bisexual, transgender: ALL EQUAL TLV #gayweek."
In November 2013, Refaeli spoke out in support of legislation for civil unions in Israel, as part of a campaign for the proposed Knesset bill.
Refaeli once dated Baywatch actor, David Charvet, and actor, Uri El-Natan. In November 2005, she began a relationship with Leonardo DiCaprio after meeting him at a party in Las Vegas thrown for members of U2. In the course of their trip to Israel in March 2007, the couple met with Israeli president Shimon Peres and visited Refaeli's hometown of Hod HaSharon. The relationship ended in June 2009. In 2010, numerous reports indicated that their romance had been rekindled,  but in May 2011, it was reported that the couple had ended their romantic relationship, although they would remain friends.
Refaeli's relationship with DiCaprio caused one nationalist Israeli organization to send her a letter, later leaked to the press, in which she was asked, for the sake of "future generations of Jews", not to marry a non-Jew, a request similar to the one made to Israeli 1998 Miss World winner Linor Abargil, a few years previously.
In 2007 it was reported that Refaeli had married a family acquaintance and divorced him soon after to avoid military service in the Israel Defense Forces, which is mandatory for both men and women over the age of 18. The Israeli Forum for the Promotion of Equal Share in the Burden threatened to boycott the fashion chain Fox if they hired Refaeli, but the two sides reached a compromise in which Refaeli agreed to visit injured IDF soldiers on visits to Israel and encourage enlistment in the army. Refaeli later stated, "I don't regret not enlisting, because it paid off big time. That's just the way it is: celebrities have other needs. I hope my case has influenced the army". In 2009 fellow Israeli model Esti Ginzburg, while speaking in support of enlisting, criticized Refaeli for her evasion of military service. In 2011 Refaeli was featured on the cover of Italian GQ's war-themed May 2011 issue.
- Top Model. Bar Refaeli. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- "FMD – Profile of fashion model Bar Refaeli". Fashionmodeldirectory.com. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Caspi, David. "Supermodel Bar Refaeli to Host 'X Factor' Israel". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- Isn't it better to live in New York? An Israeli Supermodel Speaks
- Burstein, Nathan (9 October 2007). "The 'uncomfortable' role model". Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 16 March 2011.[dead link]
- "Pop Culture Q&A". Sports Illustrated. 7 March 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Bar Refaeli Model Profile". Retrieved 6 August 2010.
- Supermodel Bar Refaeli – the first international Zionist celebrity
- "SI.com – Bar Refaeli". Sports illustrated. 7 March 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Markazi, Arash (10 February 2009). "For cover girl Bar Refaeli, life is about to change". FanNation. Archived from the original on 13 February 2009. Retrieved 10 February 2009.
- "Southwest Paints Swimsuit Model on Plane". PopSci.com.au. 12 February 2009. Archived from the original on 14 February 2009. Retrieved 12 February 2009.
- "Southwest's Sports Illustrated Plane". Fox News. Retrieved 2 May 2009.
- "Southwest's Sports Illustrated Plane Featuring Bar Refaeli Is Offending Passengers". Fox News. 7 April 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Kanter, Jacob. "Fox removes racy Bar Refaeli billboards". Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Bar Refaeli racy Fox clothing billboard gets barred in Tel Aviv, amid fears of poisoning public". The Daily Telegraph. Australia. 28 October 2009. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Leonardo's girlfriend face of Accessorize". Marie Claire. 27 February 2008. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Bar Refaeli making her Canadian debut with Garnier Fructis Style". CNW. 25 February 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Bar Refaeli to receive Women's World Style Award". Ynetnews. 20 June 1995. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- Istanbul meets the fashion world with Fashionable Istanbul. Istanbulview.com. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- Bar Refaeli at FHM.com, 4 February 2011.
- Hughes, Sarah Anne (22 May 2012). "Bar Refaeli, Naya Rivera and Stephen Colbert make Maxim’s ‘Hot 100’ list". The Washington Post. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- Ashley Baylen (12 April 2012). "Top 50 Hottest Jewish Women (10–1) – Page2". Shalom Life. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- Thielman, Sam (24 June 2008). "Bravo for Tommy Hilfiger, Radical". Variety. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "House of Style". MTV. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Bar Refaeli Typecast as Sushi Waitress in First Feature Film!". forward.com. 19 January 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Bates, Daniel (February 1, 2013). "The luckiest nerd in the world: Geeky actor reveals how it took SIXTY-FIVE takes to film lingering kiss with supermodel Bar Refaeli in Super Bowl ad". Mail Online. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "He's eating her alive! Bar Refaeli kisses a geeky extra in cringe-inducing Super Bowl advert". Mail Online. February 1, 2013. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- Krupnick, Ellie (2013-05-29). "Bar Refaeli 'X Factor' Host Gig Will Kick Off Show In Israel". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- They’d done it by Hannah Brown, Jerusalem Post, November 7, 2013
- Feldman, Batya (24 October 2011). "Bar Refaeli's e-commerce lingerie co Undeez raises $1m". GLOBES. Retrieved 14 November 2011.
- Bar Refaeli's e-commerce lingerie company raises $1 million, Jerusalem Post, By BATYA FELDMAN 10/25/2011
- Bar Refaeli’s Startup Mika Look Raises $1.2M nocamels.com, July 23, 2013
- Bar Refaeli invests in smartphone payment co MyCheck by Tzahi Hoffman, Globes, 3 September 12
- Israeli startups on way to second record-breaking quarter in row Inbal Orpaz, Oct. 18, 2013, Haaretz
- "Gallery". Project Sunshine. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Refaeli comes to aid of animals abandoned during Lebanon war". Jerusalem Post.
- Fay, Greer (17 January 2008). "Market Wise". Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- How Israel beat the drought by David Horowitz, Times of Israel, February 2013
- Refaeli, Bar. "Electric vehicles and the transition to sustainable transportation", Better Place blog, 19 August 2010.
- Refaeli stands up for gays… at a urinal
- Bar Refaeli supports civil marriage bill by Ashley Baylen Published: 11.20.13, 15:24
- "Leo and Bar. What's Going On?". Retrieved 15 August 2008.
- "Israeli Leader Asks Leonardo DiCaprio for Help", People.com. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- Leonardo DiCaprio is a Model Man[dead link]
- "It really is a Happy New Year for Leonardo DiCaprio and Bar Refaeli as the couple rekindle their on/off relationship". Daily Mail (London). 2 January 2010. Archived from the original on 5 January 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2010. "Last year they called a halt to their relationship, apparently, it seemed, for good. But, if these new photographs are anything to go by, Leonardo DiCaprio and Bar Refaeli appear to be back on track."
- "Leonardo DiCaprio, Bar Refaeli getting serious?". The Indian Express (Delhi). 6 January 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2010. "The couple, who had been dating on and off for the past three years, was spotted canoodling together over New Year's weekend in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, which topped off a week-long getaway."
- Miller, Tracy (2 January 2010). "Leonardo DiCaprio and Sports Illustrated model Bar Refaeli hook up again for New Year's". New York Daily News. Archived from the original on 5 January 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2010. "Leo and Bar also enjoyed a "secret" romantic getaway in the Bahamas in late November, according to multiple reports, sparking rumors they'd decided to work it out."
- "Bar Refaeli back on the single market". Fashion Model Directory. 12 May 2011. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- "Nationalist group urges model Bar Refaeli to marry Jewish, dump Leo DiCaprio". Los Angeles Times. 10 March 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Marzel to beauty queen: Don't marry a goy". Ynet News. 20 June 1995. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Dodging IDF paid off big time". Archived from the original on 21 August 2008. Retrieved 15 August 2008.
- "THE STATE: Israel Defense Forces (IDF)", Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 1 April 2008
- "Bar Refaeli: IDF's new 'enlistment officer'". Retrieved 15 August 2008.
- Weiss, Shari (5 May 2011). "Bar Refaeli topless in GQ Italia’s military-themed issue: Israeli model once labeled a draft-dodger". New York Daily News. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- Israeli models Refaeli and Ginzburg at war over IDF[dead link]
- Israeli supermodels in catwalk spat over draft-dodging
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bar Refaeli.|
- Bar Refaeli on Facebook
- Bar Refaeli at the Fashion Model Directory
- Bar Refaeli at the Internet Movie Database
- Bar Refaeli at AllMovie