||The examples and perspective in this article deal primarily with the United States and do not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (May 2014)|
In the United States
Bar cars were common during the heyday of U.S. rail travel prior to World War II. However, today, the only bar cars that remain in service (not including Amtrak's full-service dining cars and snack cars) can be found plying the rails on Metro-North Railroad's New Haven Line between Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan and New Haven, Connecticut.
As of October 2007, the railroad included a bar car on 16 weekday eastbound trains and seven weekday New York-bound trains.
As of April 2010, the Metro-North Railroad has not committed to replacing the 1970s-era cars now used by commuters from Manhattan to Connecticut, when the new M-8 cars are rolled out during 2010. The M-8 was designed by Cesar Vergara, a train designer from Ridgefield, Connecticut, who also provided a design for a modern bar car.
The last bar cars are set to be retired in May 2014.
Formerly, a bar car service (officially, "refreshment car") ran on 3 of Chicago's Metra lines: the Milwaukee District/North Line, the Milwaukee District/West Line, and the Rock Island District line. The last service was on August 29, 2008, when the last contracts expired.
- Fuchs, Marek (July 29, 2002). "Aboard Bar Car, Some Riders Fear Last Call Is Near; A Fight Stirs on Metro-North". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- Metro-North Railroad New Haven Line Schedule (Oct. 7, 2007, to April 5, 2008)
- Grynbaum, Michael M. (April 20, 2010). "One for the Road? Bar Cars May Face a Last Call". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- Williams, Brian (May 8, 2014). "Boozy Commuter Train Retires Legendary Bar Cars". NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams (NBC). Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- Thomas, Monifa; Donovan, Lisa (August 27, 2008). "Last call for bar cars: Regulars mourn as Metra plans to end drink service". Chicago Tribune.
- Wronski, Richard (August 27, 2008). "Metra says so long to its rail saloons". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- Daily schedule for trains with bar cars on the Metro-North New Haven bound line
- Barcar.com - fan site
- Inside Metro-North M2 barcar
|This rail-transport related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|