Barak (given name)
Barak, also spelled Barac, Barack, and Baraq, is an Arabic and Hebrew given name with two distinct spellings in each of those languages. It derives from two different Semitic roots B-R-K and B-R-Q each with its own orthography and etymology. The name "Mubarak" (Arabic: مبارك, Mubārak) is an Arabic variation of one of these (see below).
The first consonantal spelling, B-R-K (Arabic: بارك, Bārak, and Hebrew: ברךּ Bārak), is most commonly associated in Arabic with the meaning "blessed" as well as the meanings "to make to kneel down" (said of the camel), "to stoop", and "to cower". In Hebrew, it can be traced from Phoenician, Ugaritic, Aramaic, Akkadian, and Classical Arabic roots having the meanings, "knee", "kneel", "prostrate", "venerate", "bless", "be blessed", and "boon" as well as (camel's, human) "chest" and sometimes "curse" or "blaspheme".:p.48:p.121
In Arabic, the prefix mu- as used in Arabic: مبارك, Mubārak connects the word which follows it with the word before it, making the former an adjective of the latter, hence its use as a surname translates to "the blessed".
The consonantal spelling B-R-Q (Arabic: لبُراق, Burāq and Hebrew: ברק, Bārāq) is the second form. The meaning of this form in Arabic is "to shine", "to gleam", "to lighten", and "to open widely" (said of the eyes). Similarly, the Hebrew significance is "lightning", "flash", "to give light" and "to be visible".:p.47:p.122 It is this spelling that is most commonly associated with the modern use of the word as a name in Hebrew, and is the spelling that is used in Hebrew newspapers for the first name of the 44th president of the United States, Barack Obama.
People named Barak
Notable people with the name include:
- Barak Badash (born 1982), Israeli football player
- Barak Bakhar (born 1979), Israeli football player
- Barak Longmate (1738-1793), English genealogist and engraver
- Barak Moshe (born 1991), Israeli football player
- Barack Obama (born 1961), 44th and current President of the United States
- Barack Obama, Sr. (1936–1982), Kenyan economist and President Barack Obama's father
- Barak Sopé (born 1955), Vanuatu politician
- Barak Yitzhaki (born 1984), Israeli football player
- Barak (disambiguation)
- Burak (disambiguation)
- Baraka (disambiguation)
- Baruch (given name)
- Mubarak (name)
- Corriente, Federico (1977). A dictionary of Andalusi Arabic. Leiden: Brill. ISBN 9004098461.
- Murtonen, Aimo (1986). Hospers, J.H., ed. Hebrew in its West Semitic setting: a comparative survey of non-Masoretic Hebrew dialects and traditions. Leiden: E.J. Brill. ISBN 9789004088993.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|