Barbara Brandriff Crabb
|Barbara Brandriff Crabb|
|Senior Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin|
March 4, 2010
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin|
November 2, 1979 – March 4, 2010
|Appointed by||Jimmy Carter|
|Preceded by||new seat|
|Succeeded by||William M. Conley|
|Born||1939 (age 74–75)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Early life and education
Born in Green Bay, Wisconsin, Crabb received a B.A. from the University of Wisconsin–Madison in 1960 and an LL.B. from the University of Wisconsin Law School in 1962. She was in private practice in Madison, Wisconsin from 1962 to 1968.
After law school graduation, Crabb was a research assistant to George Bunn of the University of Wisconsin Law School from 1968 to 1969, and for the American Bar Association Project on Minimum Standards of Criminal Justice from 1970 to 1971. She served as a U.S. magistrate judge in the Western District of Wisconsin from 1971 to 1979.
On July 21, 1979, Crabb was nominated by President Jimmy Carter to a new seat on the United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin created by 92 Stat. 1629. She was confirmed by the United States Senate on October 31, 1979, and received her commission on November 2, 1979. She served as chief judge from 1980-1996.
On April 15, 2010, Crabb ruled in a suit that the Freedom From Religion Foundation filed in 2008 against the Bush administration that the National Day of Prayer is unconstitutional. This ruling was unanimously dismissed by a federal appellate court in April 2011 due to lack of standing.
On November 22, 2013 Crabb ruled in another suit the exemption of a housing allowance from the income of clergy was unconstitutional.
On June 6, 2014 Crabb ruled in favor of same-sex marriage, overturning Wisconsin's state passage of a Defense of Marriage Amendment on constitutional grounds including its violation of due process and equal protection.
- "Federal Judge Rules Day of Prayer Unconstitutional". Fox News. 2010-04-15. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- "Federal Judge Rules Day of Prayer Unconstitutional". Newsmax.com. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- "National Day of Prayer Ruled 'Unconstitutional' - US - CBN News - Christian News 24-7". CBN.com. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- Legal challenge to National Day of Prayer thrown out, The Christian Science Monitor
- Court Dismisses Challenge to National Day of Prayer, USA Today
- Doug Erickson (2013-11-23). "Judge strikes down law that gives clergy members tax-free housing allowances". Wisconsin State Journal. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Court overturns same-sex marriage ban". WISC-TV. 2014-06-06. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- Johnson, M.L. (June 7, 2014). "Gay couples rush to marry at Wisconsin courthouses". AP News. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- Barbara Brandriff Crabb at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.