|Sister Barbara Doherty, SP|
|Other names||Sister Vincent Ferrer|
|Education||Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, Saint Mary's College (Indiana), Fordham University|
|Known for||President of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, 1984–1998|
Sister Barbara Doherty, S.P., is an educator and theologian. A Roman Catholic nun, she is a member of the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. She was president of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College in Indiana from 1984 to 1998. Other posts have been as director of the Institute of Religious Formation at Catholic Theological Union in Chicago, president of the Indiana Conference of Higher Education, and on national boards of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious and the Women's College Coalition.
Doherty attended Providence High School in Chicago, where she met the Sisters of Providence. After graduation, she entered the Sisters of Providence novitiate in 1951. In 1953 she professed final vows and took the religious name of Sister Vincent Ferrer. (Doherty later returned to using her birth name.)
Doherty has a bachelor's degree in Latin, English and history from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, a Master's degree in Sacred Doctrine from Saint Mary's College (Indiana) and a doctorate in Theology from Fordham University. She has also received honorary doctor of letters degrees from Indiana State University and Dominican University[disambiguation needed].
During the 1940s and 50s, Doherty worked with the Friendship House and on Chicago's Skid Row. In 1963 she began work with the formation of new sisters in her congregation, and in 1964 she was named Mistress of Postulants. In this role she helped guide the congregation through the transitions required for women religious by the Second Vatican Council.
In 1982 Doherty was on the steering committee to found the Women of Providence in Collaboration, an association of religious congregations related to Providence. Doherty has studied and lectured in Europe, Asia, Central America, South America and Polynesia and has lectured on various non-Christian religions including Hinduism and Buddhism.
- I Am What I Do: Contemplation and Human Experience (1981)
- Make Yourself an Ark (1984)
- Abbott, Maureen (2013). New Lights from Old Truths: Living the Signs of the Times. ISBN 9780989739719.
- "Sister Barbara Doherty, SP". All Things Possible (Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana: Sisters of Providence). Nov 2007. Retrieved 6 November 2009.
- Murphy, J. Patrick (1991). Visions and Values in Catholic Higher Education. Kansas City, Missouri: Sheed & Ward. pp. 80–81. ISBN 1-55612-421-X.
- Wikinson, Denise (January 2013). "Coming of age with Vatican II". HOPE Magazine (Winter): 8–9.
- "Women of Providence in Collaboration History".
- "Programs Offered". Park Forest South Star. 22 January 1976. p. 10. Retrieved 6 November 2014 – via Find My Past. (subscription required (. ))
- "Sister Dougherty To Head Retreat Program". Terre Haute Saturday Spectator. 14 July 1973. p. 8. Retrieved 6 November 2014 – via Find My Past. (subscription required (. ))
- "Office of the Shrine of Saint Mother Theodore Guerin".
Jeanne Knoerle, SP
|President of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College
Joan Lescinski, CSJ