Barbara Joan March
Barbara (Bonnie) Joan March (b. 1945/6) is an American criminal from Connecticut, United States of America who is currently imprisoned for 'Mailing Injurious Articles' to fourteen United States government officials.
In April 2005, she sent several food items, including baked goods and candy, to the fourteen officials. Each item was laced with a lethal dose of warfarin (rat poison). Each package included a typewritten note that threatened the recipient with being poisoned, and had the return address of people she had a grudge against, such as former co-workers and classmates.
The items were sent to the:
- Nine justices of the Supreme Court of the United States
- Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Robert Mueller
- Deputy Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Chief of Naval Operations of the United States
- Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force
- Chief of Staff of the United States Army
An investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation resulted, led by Special Agent Monica M. Patton. After initial testing of evidence and investigation of the people named as the senders of the packages, a pattern emerged linking March to the items. March's home was searched, leading to the discovery of documents and sufficient evidence to lead to an arrest and charges.
March had previously been convicted in 1985 of attempting to poison several relatives with wine.
On March 1, 2006, March plead guilty to 14 counts of mailing injurious articles. On October 11, 2006, she was sentenced to serve fifteen years, and is currently serving her time at FCI Danbury, with a projected release date of July 19, 2018.
- http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2007/february/cookies_020707 "Supreme Justice? The Case of the Poisoned Cookies", February 2, 2007, accessed August 26, 2011
- http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005-07-03/news/0507030136_1_rat-poison-justices-top-fbi-officials "FBI: Woman mailed rat poison to justices" July 3, 2005, accessed August 26, 2011.
- http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A00E5DD1431F930A35750C0A9609C8B63 "Metro Briefing | Connecticut: Washington: Woman Admits Sending Poison To Justices" March 3, 2006, accessed August 26, 2011
- "Justice Recalls Treats Laced With Poison" November 17, 2006
- CNN "O'Connor details half-baked attempt to kill Supreme Court" November 17, 2006
- DOJ Press Release, March 2006
- Poison Plot Targeted Supremes