June 3, 1955 |
|Occupation||Stage, television actress|
Barbara Walsh (born June 3, 1955) is an American musical theatre actress who has appeared in several prominent Broadway productions. Walsh is known for her Drama Desk Award winning and Tony nominated role as Trina in the Broadway production of Falsettos.
Personal life and early work
Walsh grew up in Chevy Chase, Maryland. She took voice lessons with Margaret Riddleberger. She attended Georgetown Visitation, an all-girls Catholic high school and Montgomery College, where she studied drama and music. After college Walsh worked in dinner theatre and summer stock in Warsaw, Indiana. She performed in Forbidden Broadway in the mid-1980s. She is married to Jack Cummings, the artistic director of Transport Group Theatre Company.
Walsh appeared on Broadway in the short lived musical Big (1996), based on the Penny Marshall film starring Tom Hanks. She was in the 2006-2007 Broadway revival of Stephen Sondheim's Company, playing the role of Joanne. This production was also taped for television and aired on PBS in February 2008. She has also appeared on Broadway in Rock 'n Roll! The First 5,000 Years (1982), Nine as Francesca, as Mrs. Lyons in Blood Brothers (1993), and as Velma Von Tussle in Hairspray. Her Off-Broadway credits include Birds of Paradise (1987), Stars in Your Eyes (1999) and the Transport Group musical Normal (2005).
Regionally, she has been seen in A Little Night Music as Desirée Armfeldt, (2008 Center Stage, Baltimore, Md), The Most Happy Fella, Houdini (1997 Goodspeed), Exactly Like You (Goodspeed), and A Streetcar Named Desire, and Master Class (Paper Mill Playhouse, 2009) among others. Walsh replaced Donna Bullock in the role of "Mother" in the Chicago Cast of Ragtime. She played the dual roles of Edith Beale and her daughter Little Edie in Grey Gardens at the Studio Theatre (Washington, DC), from November 12 through December 21, 2008.
Walsh's television credits include guest roles on Law & Order, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, and the re-occurring role of Judy Schulman-Brown on One Life to Live. Walsh also appeared in the film Life with Mikey.
- December 23, 2007 (2007-12-23). "Barbara Walsh — DC Theatre Scene". Dctheatrescene.com. Retrieved 2011-08-23.
- Rosati, Nancy."An Interview with Barbara Walsh" talkinbroadway.com, November 20, 2002
- "Board of Directors, Jack Cummings" Transport Group.org, accessed August 23, 2011
- Sommer, Elyse."Normal, A CurtainUp Review,CurtainUp.com, October 30, 2005
- "Barbara Walsh & Heather Laws to Join Esparza in Cincinnati 'Company'" Broadway.com, December 20, 2005
- Lipton, Brian."Barbara Walsh Replaces Kate Mulgrew in Paper Mill Playhouse's Master Class" TheaterMania.com, February 9, 2009
- Jones, Kenneth."Walsh Slips Into Edie's Regalia in DC Grey Gardens Nov. 12-Dec. 21" Playbill.com, November 12, 2008
- "Barbara Walsh listing" InternetMovieDatabase, accessed August 23, 2011
- Barbara Walsh at the Internet Movie Database
- Barbara Walsh at the Internet Broadway Database
- Internet Off-Broadway Database listing
- 2006 DIVA TALK: In Good Company: Chatting with Barbara Walsh", Andrew GansPlaybill, December 15, 2006
- Barbara Walsh Downstage Center interview at American Theatre Wing, January 2007