Barcău River (Criș)
|Counties||Romania: Sălaj, Bihor
Hungary: Hajdú-Bihar, Békés
|- location||Plopiș Mountains, near Boghiș, Sălaj County, Romania|
|Mouth||Crișul Repede River|
|- location||near Szeghalom, Békés County, Hungary|
|Length||134 km (83 mi)|
|Basin||2,025 km2 (782 sq mi)|
|Official River Code||III.1.44.33|
The Barcău River or Bereteu River (Romanian or Berettyó in Hungarian) is a river which has its origin in Sălaj County, Romania. It has a length of 134 kilometers and a watershed area of 2,025 km². After crossing Bihor County Romania and Hajdú-Bihar and Békés County, Hungary, it flows into the Sebes-Körös (Romanian: Crișul Repede) near Szeghalom.
The upper reach of the Barcău River, upstream of the junction with the Răchita River is locally called Ștei River, Berchesei River or Bărcașu River. The reach between the junctions with the Răchita River and the Toplița River is locally known as Tusa River. The name of Barcău River is given to the river only after the junction with the Toplița River.
Towns and villages
The following towns and villages are situated along the river Barcău, from source to mouth: in Romania Boghiş, Nuşfalău, Ip, Suplacu de Barcău, Balc, Abram, Marghita, Abrămuț, Chișlaz, Sălard, Tămășeu, in Hungary Kismarja, Pocsaj, Gáborján, Berettyóújfalu, Szeghalom.
The following rivers are tributaries to the river Barcău:
- Administrația Națională Apelor Române - Cadastrul Apelor - București
- Institutul de Meteorologie și Hidrologie - Rîurile României - București 1971
- Trasee turistice - județul Bihor 
- Trasee turistice județul Sălaj 
- Ioan Abrudan, Aurel Medve - Ghidul ariilor naturale protejate din județul Sălaj - Editura Școala Noastră, Zalău, 2008 
- Izvoarele Barcăului - Munții Șes 
- Harta interactivă - județul Sălaj 
|This Romanian location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Hungarian geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|