Barclays Bank (Uganda)
|Key people||Rakesh Jha
|Products||Loans, Checking, Savings, Investments, Debit Cards|
|Revenue||Pretax: US$10.1+ million (UGX:25.1 billion) (2011)|
|Total assets||US$496.1+ million (UGX:1,166 billion) (2011)|
Barclays Bank (Uganda) Limited, commonly known as Barclays Bank (Uganda), is a commercial bank in Uganda. It is one of the commercial banks licensed by Bank of Uganda, the central bank and national banking regulator.
The bank is primarily involved in meeting the banking needs of individuals, small and medium businesses (SMEs), as well as large corporations. Prior to 2006, the bank focused on meeting the banking needs of large corporations and high networth individuals. That focus was loosened to include SMEs and regular customers. As of December 2011, Barclays Bank (Uganda) was the third largest commercial bank in Uganda, with assets in excess of US$496.1 million (UGX:1,166 billion).
Barclays Bank (Uganda) opened for business in Uganda in 1927, with two branches in the capital city, Kampala and one in Jinja, the country's second-largest commercial centre. In February 2007, Barclays Bank completed the acquisition of Nile Bank Uganda Limited, strengthening its presence in the country. As of April 2012, Barclays Bank (Uganda) employed more than 800 individuals (known as "colleagues", within the bank). At that time, it had forty-four branches and sixty-five ATMs in service.
The bank's stock is owned by the following corporate and public entities:
|Barclays Bank (Uganda) Stock Ownership|
- Bugoloobi Branch - 128 Spring Road, Bugoloobi, Kampala
- Hannington Road Branch - 2 Hannington Road, Nakasero, Kampala Main Branch
- Premier Banking Branch - Hannington Road at Shimoni Road, Nakasero, Kampala
- Garden City Prestige Centre - Garden City, Yusuf Lule Road, Kampala
- Jinja Road Branch - 23 - 27 Jinja Road, Kampala
- Kampala Road Branch - 16 Kampala Road, Kampala
- Kansanga Branch - 529 Ggaba Road, Kansanga, Kampala
- Kawempe Branch - Katongole Building, 2522 Masindi Highway, Kawempe, Kampala
- Kireka Branch - 174 Kampala-Jinja Highway, Kireka
- Lubowa Branch - Quality Hill Shopping Complex, 1621 Lubowa Estate, Lubowa
- Lugazi Branch - 121 Kampala Road, Lugazi
- Lugogo Branch - 2-8 Lugogo Bypass Road, Lugogo
- Luwuum Street Branch - Luwum Street, Kampala
- Nakawa Branch - URA Customs Building, 1-3, Sebei Lane, Nakawa, Kampala
- Naakulabye Branch - 1254 City Petrol Station, Makerere Hill Road, Naakulabye
- Ndeeba Branch - 479 Masaka Road, Ndeeba, Kampala
- Ntinda Branch - Ntinda Shopping Mall, Kimera Road, Ntinda, Kampala
- Ovino Market Branch - Ovino Market, Kampala
- Parliament Ave Branch - IPS Building, 14 Parliament Avenue, Kampala
- Rwenzori Courts Branch - 1 Lumumba Avenue, Nakasero Hill, Kampala
- Shauriyako Branch - 34-38 Nakivubo Road, Kampala
- Tankhill Parade Branch - 2683 Kisugu-Muyenga Road, Muyenga, Kampala
- UN Base Branch - United Nations Base, Entebbe
- Wandegeya Branch - 170 Bombo Road, Wandegeya, Kampala
- Abaita Ababiri Branch - Entebbe-Kampala Road, Abayita Ababiri
- Kitoro Branch - Kitoro, Entebbe
- Masaka Branch - 2 Broadway Street, Masaka
- Mukono Branch - Best Meals Building, Mukono
- Busia Border Branch - Busia Customs Yard, Busia
- Iganga Branch - 85 Main Street, Iganga
- Jinja Branch - 81 Main Street, Jinja
- Mbale Branch - Republic Street, Mbale
- Soroti Branch - 40 Gweri Road, Soroti
- Tororo Branch - 4 Mbale Road, Tororo
- Arua Branch - 1D Transport Road, Arua
- Gulu Branch - 32 Gulu Avenue, Gulu
- Lira Branch - 10 Soroti Road, Lira
- Fort Portal Branch - 14 Bwamba Road, Fort Portal
- Hoima Branch - 56 Main Street, Hoima
- Ishaka Branch - Ishaka
- Kabale Branch - 190 Main Street, Kabale
- Kasese Branch - 68 Rwenzori Road, Kasese
- Masindi Branch - 77 Port Road, Masindi
- Mbarara Branch - 66 High Street, Mbarara
Barclays Bank (Uganda) is governed by a Board of Directors. The Chairman of the Board is one of the non-Executive Directors. The Managing Director of Barclays Bank is Rakesh Jha. He holds an MBA in Marketing gained from IMED and a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree gained from the University of Mumbai. Immediately prior to his appointment to his present position, Jha was Managing Director of Barclays Seychelles.
- Vision, Reporter (9 April 2009). "Barclays Uganda Gets New Managing Director". New Vision. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- Businge, Julius (17 April 2012). "Barclays Bank Profits Jump To UGX:21 Billion". The Independent (Uganda). Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- "List of Licensed Commercial Banks In Uganda At 2012". Bank of Uganda. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- "Overview of Barclays Bank Uganda". Barclays Bank Uganda. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- Businge, Julius (15 April 2012). "Barclays Bank Uganda Leaves Rates On Old Loans Unchanged". The Independent (Uganda). Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- Nyanzi, Peter (26 July 2013). "Uganda: Absa-Barclays Merger Gets BOU Nod". The Independent (Uganda) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- "List of Branches of Barclays Bank Uganda". Barclays Bank Uganda. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- Mwesigwa, Alon (15 January 2013). "Barclays Closes Branches, ATMs". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- Ssonko, Kiganda (14 December 2008). "Multi Billion Shopping Center Opens In February 2009". New Vision. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- Sseppuya, Mikaili (21 May 2008). "Banks Rush for Ovino Market Shops". New Vision. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- Omoding, John (18 May 2008). "Barclays Goes To Soroti". New Vision. Retrieved 2 May 2014.