Abdi at the 34th London Film Critics Circle Awards, February 2014
|Native name||برخد عبدي|
April 10, 1985 |
|Occupation||Actor, film director|
Barkhad Abdi (Somali: Barkhad Cabdi, Arabic: برخد عبدي; born April 10, 1985) is a Somali American actor and director. He made his debut in the 2013 film Captain Phillips, for which he received various film award nominations, including Best Actor in a Supporting Role at the Academy Awards and BAFTA, the latter of which he went on to win.
Abdi was born in Mogadishu, in the southern Banaadir region of Somalia. He was raised in Yemen. In 1999, at the age of 14, he moved with his family to Minneapolis, Minnesota. He subsequently attended Minnesota State University Moorhead.
Before entering the film industry, Abdi sold mobile phones at his brother's shop at a mall in Minneapolis. He also worked as a limousine driver at a relative's chauffeur company, and as a disc jockey.
Abdi made his film debut in the 2013 film Captain Phillips, in which he played ship hijacker and pirate leader Abduwali Muse. He was cast following a worldwide search for the lead roles. Abdi and three other actors were subsequently chosen from among more than 700 participants at a 2011 casting call in Minneapolis. According to the search casting director, the four were selected because they were "the chosen ones, that anointed group that stuck out."
For the role, he was nominated for the Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Supporting Actor, the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, and a Golden Globe Award. He won a BAFTA Award for Best Supporting Actor. Abdi's experience in Captain Phillips was his first in the film industry. He was paid $65,000 USD for his role in the movie. After film production, Abdi returned to work at his brother's store.
- "Production Notes". The Walt Disney Company Nordic. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- Goodyear, Dana (3 March 2014). "The Pictures - Contender". The New Yorker. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Oscar nod for Minneapolis' Barkhad Abdi in 'Captain Phillips'". KARE. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- Bertram, Colin (12 January 2014). "2014 Golden Globes: Old Guard vs. New". NBC Bay Area. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- "Adeso Ambassador Barkhad Abdi appeals for Somali cyclone aid". Mareeg. 6 December 2013. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- Lammers, Tim (5 March 2014). "Report: Fresh off Oscar nomination, Barkhad Abdi ‘dead broke’". Bringmethenews. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Ryan, Mike. "I Can't Believe I'm Doing A Scene With The Forrest Gump Guy!". Huffington Post.
- "Somali-American Actor Stars in 'Captain Phillips' Movie". Voice of America. 11 October 2013. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- Seavert, Lindsey (October 8, 2013). "4 Mpls. men co-star in Tom Hanks film 'Captain Phillips'". KARE. Gannett Company. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- Rottenberg, Josh. "Oscars 2014: Barkhad Abdi reacts to his Best Supporting Actor nomination". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- ‘Captain Phillips’ Oscar Nominee Barkhad Abdi Is Broke Yahoo via TheWrap.com
- Covert, Colin (12 January 2014). "First-time Minneapolis actor Barkhad Abdi is in "state of shock" over his sudden fame". Star Tribune. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- Heilbron, Alexandra (24 January 2014). "Captain Phillips Oscar nominee Barkhad Abdi talks about sudden fame". Tribute. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "Golden Globes nominations 2014: The complete list of nominees http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/moviesnow/la-et-mn-golden-globes-nominees-winners-complete-list,0,6845028.story#ixzz2nHFQAIlb". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 12 December 2013.