Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust
|Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust|
|Headquarters||Queen's Hospital, Romford|
|Region served||North East London|
|Type||NHS Hospital Trust|
|Chair||Sir Peter Dixon|
|Chief Exec||Averil Dongworth|
It has two main hospitals: King George Hospital in Ilford, Redbridge and Queen's Hospital in Romford. It also operates many clinics at a number of sites in the area including Barking Hospital and Brentwood Community Hospital.
The Trust serves around 700,000 people from a variety of backgrounds and across a wide area, making it one of the largest in the country.
It has a new Hyper Acute Stroke Unit, a regional centre for neurosurgery, one of the busiest cancer centres in London and a maternity service delivering almost 10,000 babies a year. The Trust has an extremely good infection control record, and has slashed the number of MRSA and Clostridium difficile rates by more than 70% in recent years.
In October 2013 it was placed in the highest risk category by the Care Quality Commission. In December 2013 it was reported that the trust had paid out more than £23 million for negligence claims in maternity in five years. The CQC report said that while the trust was working hard to make improvements in many areas, it still provided "unsafe care" in A&E and "needs to urgently focus" on resolving these issues because "The A&E departments are at times unsafe because of the lack of full-time consultants and middle-grade doctors." It was placed in special measures on 18 December 2013.
In the last few years there have been frequent changes to the hospital's Board members.
- Chief Executive Averil Dongworth, Chief Executive joined BHR in February 2011. She was previously Chief Executive at Barnet and Chase Farm NHS Hospitals Trust
- Chair Sir Peter Dixon 
- "Our Health Centres". Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Our Profile". Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "North West London Hospitals NHS Trust identified as ‘high risk’ for patients". Brent and Kilburn Times. 24 October 2013. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Baby-in-cupboard hospital pays out £23m for maternity blunders". London Evening Standard. 4 December 2013. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust placed in special measures". Independent. 18 December 2013. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- "Chief execs at two "challenged trusts" change roles". Health Service Journal (subscription only). 12 Jan 2011. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Trust Board Members". Barking, Havering and Redbridge NHS Trust. Retrieved 14 January 2014.