Barlow Der Mugrdechian
Barlow Der Mugrdechian is a historian and lecturer of Armenian studies at California State University, Fresno, where he teaches Armenian language, literature, history and culture courses. His main area of research has been Armenian literature. He serves as the president of the Society for Armenian studies. He has published numerous articles on Armenian history, culture and literature in many academic and professional journals worldwide.
Life and career
Of Armenian descent, was born in Fresno, California in 1956. He attained his B.S. degree in biology at California State University, Fresno. He continued his educated and attained his M.A. degree in Armenian language and literature from the department of Near Eastern languages and culture from University of California, Los Angeles. Der Mugrdechian was admitted into California State University, Fresno as a professor in 1985. He teaches Armenian language, literature, history and culture courses. In 1991, Der Mugrdechian was instrumental in the establishment of the student exchange program between California State University, Fresno and Yerevan State University. For many years, Der Mugrdechian has taught and directed the Armenian Relief Society Summer Studies Program in Massachusetts.
He was the chairman of the Armenian Community Council of the San Jaoquin Valley from 1992 to 1995. He served in the Parish Council of the St. Paul Apostolic Church of Fresno from 1993 to 1995. From 1997 to 2003, Der Mugrdechian edited the Newsletter of the Society for Armenian Studies, a newsletter that is published three times a year that is composed of academics and teachers who are interested in Armenian studies. In 1996-1997 he hosted a television program about Armenian issues and history called Hye Talk. In September 1999, the National Ecclesiastical Assembly of Etchmiadzin elected him as a delegate. He also participated in the election of Karekin II as Catholicos of All Armenians.
Recognition and awards
- In September 2010, Karekin II, Catholicos of All Armenians, bestowed upon Der Mugrdechian the St. Nerses Shnorhali medal for his services to the Armenian church.
- The 1995-1996 Provost's award for Excellency in Teaching (1996).
- He has been awarded an honorary doctorate degree from Yerevan State University.
- "Anooshavan: the intrepid survivor" (Fresno, CA, 1995)
- "David of Sassoun: Critical Studies on the Armenian Epic" (Fresno, CA: The Press at California State University, Fresno, 2013)(209pp.)
- A Festschrift, "Between Paris and Fresno: Armenian Studies in Honor of Dickran Kouymjian" (Costa Mesa, CA: Mazda Press, 2008)(761pp.)
- "The Armenian Bible: a symposium celebrating the 1600th anniversary of the discovery of the Armenian alphabet and the translation of the Bible into Armenian" (Burbank, CA: Western Diocese of the Armenian Church, 2007)
- "Barlow Der Mugrdechian - Biography". CSUF. Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- Hovannisian, ed. by Richard G. (2004). Armenian Sebastia/Sivas and Lesser Armenia. Costa Mesa, Calif.: Mazda Publ. p. xiv. ISBN 1568591527.
- Kouymjian], Berge Bulbulian. [With pref. by Dickran (2001). The Fresno Armenians : history of a diaspora community (1. ed., 2. print. ed.). Sanger, Calif.: Word Dancer Press. pp. 177–178. ISBN 188499539X.