|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|(Barmanu, Baddmanus, Big Hairy One (Translation))|
Chitral, Gilgit and Northern Areas of Pakistan
The Barmanou (or Barmanu or Baddmanus), a bipedal humanoid primate cryptid, allegedly inhabits the mountainous region of western Pakistan. Shepherds living in the mountains have reported sightings. The zoologist Jordi Magraner, a Spaniard living in France, has researched the Barmanou extensively.
The Barmanou is the Pakistani equivalent of the Bigfoot. The term Barmanou is used in several Pakistani languages including Khowar, Shina, Hindko and Kashmiri. In addition to the name Barmanou there are other local names as well.
The proposed range of the Barmanou covers the Chitral and Karakoram Ranges, between the Pamirs and the Himalaya. This places the Barmanou between the ranges of two more-famous cryptids, the Almas of Central Asia and the Yeti of the Himalayas.
The Barmanou allegedly possesses both human and apelike characteristics and has a reputation for abducting women and attempting to mate with them. It is also reported to wear animal skins upon its back and head. The Barmanou appears in the folklore of the Northern Regions of Pakistan and depending on where the stories come from it tends to be either described as an ape or a wild man.
The first search in Pakistan for Bipedal Humanoid man was carried out by a Spanish zoologist Jordi Magraner from 1987 to 1990. He wrote a paper, Les Hominidés reliques d'Asie Centrale, on the Pakistani cryptid – the wild man.
In May 1992, during a search in Shishi Kuh valley, Chitral, Dr. Anne Mallasseand reported that once during a late evening she heard unusual guttural sounds which only a primitive voice-box could have produced by. No further progress could be made. In addition to this, Dr. Mallasseand was not able to record the sound.
- Hazara Gazetteer 1883-84, Lahore, 1884, Language' section, p.117
- Magraner, Jordi (1992). Notes sur les hominidés reliques d'Asie centrale: district de Chitral, NWFP, Pakistan (in French). J. Magraner. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- A New Element in Favor of the Authenticity of Homo pongoîdes
- Jordi Magraner's Oral Statements Concerning Living Unknown Hominids
- The Unknown Explorers
- Barmanou of Pakistan in American Monsters.com
- Pakistanese Barmanu
- Tracking Down the Wild Men
- Video - An evening with Jordi Magraner
- The News (9 Sep 2007) article on the Pakistani Barmanou (Barmanu) "The Bigfoot Legend" and Jordi Magraner
- Unknown explorers