Barnabas Community Church, Shrewsbury
Barnabas Community Church is an independent, charismatic evangelical, Church in Shrewsbury, England, and is in many ways a product of the UK British New Church Movement. It is part of the Newfrontiers family of churches and a member of the Evangelical Alliance.
Barnabas Christian Fellowship was founded in 1983, after the Crowmoor Baptist Church outgrew its building at the time. The initial group was about 80 strong. Restricted by only having limited capacity in meeting rooms above a pub, as the church grew, it separated into two congregations for a three-year period. In 1993, the two congregations reunited and began meeting together at the Wakeman School with a clear sense that a new "home" was needed.
In 1996 Barnabas formally became part of Newfrontiers, an international family of similar churches.
In 2001 the name of the church was changed officially to Barnabas Community Church.
The Barnabas Centre
Between 1983 and 1985 the church met in various public halls including the Music Hall and the Gateway arts centre. Between 1985 and 1996 the church rented a suite of rooms above the Lloyds pub in Shrewsbury town centre.
The Barnabas Centre was formerly a Territorial Army Drill Hall. Its layout provided an ideal basis for conversion into a Church Centre. Between 1995 and 2007, £550,000 was raised by church members to enable the purchase, refurbishment and extension of the building to take place.
- Shrewsbury Venue Shrewsbury - Barnabas Community Church Shrewsbury
- Newfrontiers – A Worldwide Family of Churches Together on a Mission
- Church Search
- Wakeman School Internet Home Page
- CELL GROUPS - Barnabas Community Church Shrewsbury
- CellUk: Home
- Barnabas Community Church | Alpha UK
- Shrewsbury Music Hall | Home Page
- Gateway Education and Arts Centre | Shropshire County Council
- Shrewsbury Senior Citizens
- Community Council of Shropshire - Effective Hearing Programmes
- COMMUNITY LIFE - Barnabas Community Church Shrewsbury
- Community Money Advice
- Barnabas Community Church "Outlook Programme" (Shrewsbury) | Shropshire County Council
- Impact Shrewsbury