|Full name||Barney Peter Gibson|
31 March 1996 |
|Domestic team information|
|FC debut||27 April 2011 Yorkshire v Durham UCCE|
|Source: Cricinfo, 28 April 2011|
Barney Peter Gibson (born 31 March 1996) is an English cricketer who plays as a wicket-keeper for Yorkshire. He is the youngest cricketer to play first-class cricket in England making his debut for Yorkshire in April 2011 aged 15 years and 27 days.
Gibson was born in Leeds, England and attended Crawshaw School in Pudsey. Before making his first-class debut, he represented Yorkshire County Cricket Club at a Under-11, Under-12 and Under-13 levels. He had also played at schoolboy level for Leeds United, whose books he had been on between the ages of eight and twelve, before giving up football to concentrate on cricket.
Gibson made his debut for Yorkshire in a three-day match against the Durham University Centre of Cricketing Excellence (Durham UCCE) on 27 April 2011 at the age of 15 years, 27 days beating the previous record held for 144 years by Charles Young who had represented Hampshire at the age of 15 years, 131 days in 1867. He was selected ahead of Jonny Bairstow and Gerard Brophy, the two first-choice wicket-keepers, who were rested by Yorkshire. To make his debut, his school gave him permission to miss lessons. Gibson was glad to avoid school that day, stating:
I was supposed to have triple science, double Maths and RE. They have sent me up here with some homework to do though.
- "Yorkshire's Gibson breaks English first-class record". BBC Sport. 28 April 2011. Archived from the original on 29 April 2011. Retrieved 28 April 2011.
- "Fifteen-year-old sets English record". Cricinfo. 27 April 2011. Retrieved 28 April 2011.
- Stewart, Rob (28 April 2011). "Barney Gibson makes history at just 15 as England's youngest-ever county cricketer". Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 28 April 2011.
- "Barney Gibson". Cricinfo. Retrieved 28 April 2011.
- Gibson, Richard (28 April 2011). "Little Tyke! School's out for 15-year-old Barney Gibson, first-class cricket's youngest ever player". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 28 April 2011.
- "15 years and 27 days: County cricket's youngest player". The Independent (London). 28 April 2011. Retrieved 28 April 2011.
- "Marylebone Cricket Club University Matches, Durham MCCU v Yorkshire at Durham, Apr 27–29, 2011". Cricinfo. Retrieved 28 April 2011.