Mark "Barney" Greenway performing alongside Napalm Death at Tampere, Finland, 2009
|Birth name||Mark Greenway|
|Also known as||Barney|
13 July 1969 |
Great Barr, Birmingham, England
|Associated acts||Napalm Death
Extreme Noise Terror
Greenway has stated his nickname "Barney" came from a time when he used to drink alcohol. He stated he would get so drunk that when he went anywhere, he would bump into everything. From this behaviour, he would be called "Rubble", which changed to "Barney Rubble" and then just "Barney".
Greenway is a progressive metal fan. He joined Dream Theater on stage at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club and performed vocals on Metallica's "Damage, Inc." live. He has reviewed progressive metal bands and albums for the British rock magazine Kerrang! though he no longer does so.
Greenway is a supporter of Aston Villa F.C.. He is a supporter of PETA and has been a vegetarian since he was 14. Barney is recognisable for his strong Birmingham accent which has never waned and which he proudly maintains, and for his distinctive gruff vocal style that many feel has become synonymous with Napalm Death.
With Napalm Death
- Harmony Corruption (1990)
- Utopia Banished (1992)
- Fear, Emptiness, Despair (1994)
- Diatribes (1996)
- Inside the Torn Apart (1997)
- Words from the Exit Wound (1998)
- Enemy of the Music Business (2000)
- Order of the Leech (2002)
- Leaders Not Followers: Part 2 (2004)
- The Code Is Red...Long Live the Code (2005)
- Smear Campaign (2006)
- Time Waits For No Slave (2009)
- Utilitarian (2012)
- Apex Predator - Easy Meat (2015)
- The Peel Sessions (1989)
- Death by Manipulation (1992)
- The Complete Radio One Sessions (2000)
- Noise for Music's Sake (the best of and the rare of 2CD) (2003)
- Live in Europe (7", 1989)
- Live Corruption (1992)
- Bootlegged in Japan (1998)
- Punishment in Capitals (2002)
Singles and EPs
- Suffer the Children (1990)
- Harmony Corruption bonus live EP (EP, 1990)
- Mass Appeal Madness (EP, 1991)
- Utopia Banished Bonus CD (EP, 1992)
- The World Keeps Turning (EP) (1992)
- Nazi Punks Fuck Off (EP) (1993)
- Hung (EP, 1994)
- Plague Rages (Promo, 1994)
- Greed Killing (EP) (1996)
- Cursed to Tour (split with At the Gates, 1996)
- In Tongues We Speak (split-CD with Coalesce) (1997)
- Breed to Breathe (EP, 1997)
- Leaders Not Followers (EP) (1999)
- Tsunami Benefit (Split CD with The Haunted and Heaven Shall Burn) (2005)
- The Dreams You Dread
- Confess All Goodness (1990, Split-EP with Pungent Stench)
- Subconscious Terror (1990)
- Dark Is the Season (1992) (on the track "Forged in Fire")
With Extreme Noise Terror
- Damage 381 (1997)
- Cerebral Fix – Death Erotica – backing vocals on "Never Again"
- Leng Tch'e – Hypomanic – Guest vocals on "Totalitarian"
- The Haunted – Revolver – cameo appearance on "No Compromise" music video
- Cephalic Carnage – Anomalies – backing vocals
- Ginger – A Break in the Weather – backing vocals on "The Dying Art of the Chorus"
- Dream Theater – International Fan Club Christmas CD – vocals on cover of Metallica's "Damage Inc."
- Withered – Foile Circulare – backing vocals on "...The Faded Breath" and "Clamor Beneath"
- This Is Menace – The Scene Is Dead – vocals on "Beg for Silence"
- Born From Pain – War – vocals on "Behind Enemy Lines"
- Kill II This – Deviate – backing vocals on "The Flood"
- Extortion – Loose Screws – Guest Vocals on "Grind to a Halt"
- Volbeat – Beyond Hell/Above Heaven – Guest vocals on "Evelyn"
- Short Sharp Shock – Problems to the Answer – Guest vocals on "The Kill Floor, ROAR, Here Comes the Neighbourhood"
- Liquorbox (Canadian Country Band) – Gotta Get Gone – Guest vocals on "Busted Up And Broken Down"
- it:Mothercare – Breathing Instructions – Guest vocals on "Copy/Paste"
- Strong, M J (1998). The great rock discography. Giunti. p. 564. ISBN 88-09-21522-2.
- "Metal". CMJ New Music Monthly. November 1997. ISSN 1074-6978.
- "Napalm Death". MTV.com.
- Martinelli, Roberto (December 2002). "Interview with Napalm Death" (11). Maelstrom magazine.
- "CD review of Dream Theater". NewsAndEntertainment.com.
- Lofquist, Daniel (30 December 2008). "NAPALM DEATH – Barney Greenway tells it like it is". Critical Mass.
- "Top Five celebrity fans". Coventry Evening Telegraph. 4 March 2006.
- "Out There: Napalm Death". PETA.