Barney and the Backyard Gang
|Barney & the Backyard Gang|
|Created by||Sheryl Leach|
|Starring||Bob West (Barney's voice)
David Voss (Barney costume)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||8|
|Location(s)||Allen, Texas (six videos)
Dallas, Texas (two videos)
|Production company(s)||The Lyons Group|
|Original run||October 13, 1988 – October 20, 1991|
|Followed by||Barney & Friends|
Barney & the Backyard Gang is a direct-to-video series produced by The Lyons Group and was produced from October 13, 1988 to October 20, 1991. This series launched the stardom of the PBS television show Barney & Friends.
The first three episodes from 1988 and 1989 include American actress Sandy Duncan as Michael and Amy's Mother. Music for the Barney & the Backyard Gang videos was created by Stephen Bates Baltes and Phillip Parker (as with the television series), and Lory Lazarus wrote the first original song produced for Barney, "Friends Are Forever", sung by Sandy Duncan. In the first five videos, "I Love You" was sung at the beginning. (It was sung at the end of Barney Goes to School and Barney in Concert, and later frequently sung only at the end of Barney & Friends.)
The series was a regional success, but only a moderate success throughout the rest of the country. Then one day, in 1991, Larry Rifkin, then head of Connecticut Public Television, rented a Barney video for his daughter Leora. He liked the concept and talked to Leach about possibly putting Barney on television through the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). Rock with Barney was the last video in the series before the television show debuted. Also, only four of the kids from the videos (Michael, Derek, Tina, and Luci) were carried over to the television show.
In order of release date:
- The Backyard Show (Pilot) (October 13, 1988)
- Three Wishes (January 27, 1989)
- A Day at the Beach (April 6, 1989)
- Waiting for Santa (January 6, 1990)
- Campfire Sing-Along (June 8, 1990)
- Barney Goes to School (August 15, 1990)
- Barney in Concert (July 29, 1991)
- Rock with Barney (Series Finale) (October 20, 1991)
- Baby Bop (Body) - Dao Knight (1991)
- Baby Bop (Voice) - Julie Johnson (1991–present)
- Barney (Body) - David Voss (1988–1990), David Joyner (1991-2002)
- Barney (Voice) - Bob West (1988–2001)
- Adam - Alexander Jhin (1988–1991)
- Amy - Becky Swonke (1988–1991)
- Dad - Bob Reed (1988–1989)
- Derek - Rickey Carter (1990–1995)
- Jason - Salim Grant (1988–1989)
- Jeffrey - Jeffrey Lowe (1990)
- Kathy - Lauren King (1991-1995)
- Luci - Leah Gloria (1988–1993)
- Michael - Brian Eppes (1988–1998)
- Mom - Sandy Duncan (1988–1989)
- Tina - Jessica Zucha (1988–1995)
- Tina's Mom - Sonya Resendez (1990)
- "Classic Barney Videos". Classic Barney. Tripod.com. Archived from the original on 13 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- Heffley, Lynne (April 6, 1992). "Dinosaur 'Barney' to Join PBS Gang". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-08-24.
- Lawson, Carol (December 3, 1992). "Why Young Children Scream". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- Walters, John. The Same River Twice. p. 55. ISBN 978-0-9716999-0-8.