Barnsley by-election, 1938
The seat had become vacant on the death in April 1938 of the Labour Member of Parliament (MP) John Samuel Potts, who had represented the constituency since the 1935 general election, having previously been Barnsley's MP from 1922 to 1931.
The Labour candidate, Frank Collindridge, held the seat for his party with a slightly increased majority;
|Barnsley by-election, 1938|
|Liberal National||Harold Walter Seymour Howard||13,052||35.6||−5.5|
- Barnsley (UK Parliament constituency)
- Barnsley by-election, 1897
- Barnsley by-election, 1953
- Barnsley Central by-election, 2011
- List of United Kingdom by-elections
- Craig, F. W. S. (1983) . British parliamentary election results 1918-1949 (3rd edition ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. ISBN 0-900178-06-X.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]