Barnstable Public School District
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2013)|
|Barnstable Public School District|
|Type and location|
|Superintendent||Dr. Mary Czajkowski|
|Students and staff|
|District mascot||Red Raider|
The Barnstable Public School District controls all public schools in Barnstable, Massachusetts. The Superintendent of schools is Dr.Mary Czajkowski. The Assistant Superintendent is Marie McKay.
Although it is unknown when the school district started, it is generally believed to have been in existence by the early 1900s.
2001 Override failure
In 2001, a Proposition 2½ override failed to pass. The result was fees were implemented. Fees of $125 were implemented for music, which subsequently decimated the Barnstable High School Marching Band. Bus fees were added, which totaled around $175 and sports fees were set at $125. The music fee was later rescinded in the 2005–2006 school year.
In 2001, the school committee was sued under the court case Fitzgerald v. Barnstable School Committee. The case went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled that parents could sue school committees for sexual harassment under the Fourteenth Amendment. The 3 million dollar suit was eventually settled for $150,000.
2008 Budget Crisis
With the Late-2000s recession, the state was forced to cut $6 million in local aid. Faced with this, the town took drastic measures. Option 3, which entailed closing two elementary schools, moving 4th Graders into the Horace Mann Charter School, moving 6th Graders into the Middle School, and 8th Graders into the High School. The schools that might close are Hyannis East Elementary School, Marstons Mills and Cotuit Elementary School, and Barnstable-West Barnstable Elementary School. All those schools are the oldest in the district, and are suffering from disrepair.
- Barnstable Community Horace Mann Public Charter School
- Barnstable High School
- Barnstable Middle School (Formerly known as Barnstable Middle School at Hyannis)
- Barnstable United Elementary School, (Built as Barnstable Middle School at Marstons Mills)
- Barnstable/West Barnstable Elementary School
- Centerville Elementary School
- Hyannis West Elementary School
- Western Villages Elementary School (Marstons Mills East Horace Mann Charter School)
Name of school when they closed followed by what they housed:
- Barnstable Horace Mann Charter School (Old) (1920s-2003)
- Cotuit Elementary School (Twinned with Marstons Mills Elementary School) (???-June 19, 2009)
- Grade 5 Building
- Barnstable Village Schoolhouse (1854-195?)
- Elizabeth Lowell High School (18??-19??)
- Marstons Mills Elementary School (Twinned with Cotuit Elementary School) (???-June 19, 2009)
- Osterville Bay Elementary School (1915-June 17, 2008)
- Osterville Elementary School (???-June 19, 2009)
- Osterville Grammar School (???-???)
- West Barnstable Schoolhouse (18??-195?)