|Barony of Abinger|
|Creation date||12 June 1835|
|Peerage||Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|First holder||James Scarlett, 1st Baron Abinger|
|Present holder||James Scarlett, 9th Baron Abinger|
|Heir apparent||Hon. Peter Richard Scarlett|
|Remainder to||the 1st Baron's heirs male of the body lawfully begotten.|
Baron Abinger, of Abinger in the County of Surrey and of the City of Norwich, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created on 12 January 1835 for the prominent lawyer and politician Sir James Scarlett, the Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer. Lord Abinger was succeeded by his eldest son, the second Baron. He represented Norwich and Horsham in the House of Commons. He was succeeded by his son, the third Baron. He was a lieutenant-general in the army and fought in the Crimean War. On the death of his son, the fourth Baron, the line of the eldest son of the first Baron failed. The late Baron was succeeded by his second cousin, the fifth Baron. He was the grandson of Hon. Peter Campbell Scarlett, third son of the first Baron. When he died the title passed to his younger brother, the sixth Baron, and then to another brother, the seventh Baron. As of 2010[update] the title is held by the latter's grandson, the ninth Baron, who succeeded his father in 2002.
The Hon. Sir James Yorke Scarlett, second son of the first Baron, was a general in the army and fought in the Crimean War. The Hon. Mary Elizabeth, daughter of the first Baron, was created Baroness Stratheden in 1836. She was the wife of John Campbell, 1st Baron Campbell.
Coat of arms
The heraldic blazon for the coat of arms of the barony is: Checky or and gules, a lion rampant ermine; on a canton azure, a castle triple towered argent.
Barons Abinger (1835)
- James Scarlett, 1st Baron Abinger (1769–1844)
- Robert Campbell Scarlett, 2nd Baron Abinger (1794–1861)
- William Frederick Scarlett, 3rd Baron Abinger (1826–1892)
- James Yorke Macgregor Scarlett, 4th Baron Abinger (1871–1903)
- Shelley Leopold Laurence Scarlett, 5th Baron Abinger (1872–1917)
- Robert Brooke Campbell Scarlett, 6th Baron Abinger (1876–1927)
- Hugh Richard Scarlett, 7th Baron Abinger (1878–1943)
- James Richard Scarlett, 8th Baron Abinger (1914–2002)
- James Harry Scarlett, 9th Baron Abinger (b. 1959)
The heir presumptive is the present holder's brother, the Hon. Peter Richard Scarlett (b. 1961). The next heir is the present holder's nephew, Harry Alexander Peter Scarlett (b. 1997) current son of Peter Richard Scarlett.
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2013)|